Oscar Scherer Park

apx255

Oscar Scherer Park

Post by apx255 »

Hi all,

Has anyone fished South Creek in Oscar Scherer park before? I'm camping there with my girlfriend this weekend and would like to put her on a few fish...We have kayaks and would like to explore the area all the way to intracoastal (not sure what the distance is) Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Tight lines...
Evan

Re: Oscar Scherer Park

Post by Evan »

I've spent a bit of time at Oscar Scherer. Usually I launch from Blackburn Point and paddle up into S. Creek. Not exactly sure how far that is from the ramp inside the park, but they ought to have a nice map there...

The creek is full of small snook (or was, anyway) ladyfish, and the occasional snapper. In my experience, they are usually schooled up pretty tight so you have to cover a lot of empty water in between bites. It's a fun paddle that ends up being more about the fishing than the catching. Might want to de-barb your hooks and give the little guys a break.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
apx255

Post by apx255 »

Thanks Evan...I always pinch the barbs even when I'm hunting for a redfish dinner...Give them a fighting chance I say.... :D It looks like a scenic paddle so a bit of time between bites might not be so bad...Thanks again
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Just don't try to find a campsite where you can launch from ... not allowed. At least the last two times I was there (3-4 years ago) you couldn't.

Nice park nonetheless.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
TampaJim

Post by TampaJim »

When you get to the park, ask for John Roche (the park manager). He is an avid fisherman and will be more than happy to share information. The park has GREAT opportunities!