King of the canal

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
bonefishwhisperer

King of the canal

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I still am on the canals while it sucks outside...lost 2 of the biggest largemouth bass I have ever seen I settled for a snook...good line burns on my hand

Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
jimmieb

Re: King of the canal

Post by jimmieb »

very nice work bfw snook looks fresh from the Briney. having mixed results in my neck of the concrete jungle (snook & tarpon poping at sunrise) and Pfish nesting encounters while bank hopping. forgot to ask about fly selection for the snook and bass?
-jimmieb
bonefishwhisperer

I use only 3 flys for everything...I use mostly 1 on the canals no matter what fish it is...the Mighty Mighty Speed Dart :thumbleft: ...yes, it is truly a great fly and my own invention...it relies on the fishermans skill and confidence to work :scratch: ...some people think its a little sparse and simple

Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Important thing is they hit your lure.
Who knows why, movement, flash, color, eyeballs, or all of these?
Sure is fun to fool 'em though, especially with something you made yourself. :wink:
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

BFW- did you run into any Peacocks while you were catching the largemouths and the snook?

I will be spending next weekend in Miami and will try the peacocks again in Kendall
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
bonefishwhisperer

while I didnt try to catch any I did see several while fishing...the largemouths were pushing 13-14lbs down to about 7lbs and they were my main focus...much bigger than the snook
jimmieb

Post by jimmieb »

thx for the quick and candor response. Great design! any fly that resembles & imitates the classic bucktail is tops in my pamphlet for fish-catching ability. Covers the hole water column.

-jab
bonefishwhisperer

jimmieb wrote:thx for the quick and candor response. Great design! any fly that resembles & imitates the classic bucktail is tops in my pamphlet for fish-catching ability. Covers the hole water column.

-jab
couldnt agree more...based on bucktails I fished in North Carolina...there was nothing it didnt flat out hammer...I even use them tandem just like a bucktail...whoops...dont tell
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

BFW - thanks for the peacock news bit - I will post a note on this forum about what peacocks I find in Kendall this weekend - the water depth in those lakes is shallower I think than the canals you are fishing. I am hoping for light wind for fly rod work and easier sighting of fish. I know where the largemouths hang out in one of the lakes so will also give them a shot
bonefishwhisperer

you are in luck....dead calm and hot as hell...peacocks will be on fire...I have to work about 1/2 mile from my favorite peacock canal today myself...should be done by 10am or so and then straight to the canal from her house...wont even move the truck...consider it pre rape :lol: lol not the same water...I really like the water right behind the mall on Kendal...behind Macy's...thats snapper ck that dumps into Mathesson...lots of peacocks in that canal and also snook
crookedsnook

Post by crookedsnook »

Bucktail? did someone say bucktail?
let's try over there
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

thanks again BFW - eventually, when I get time i will fish behind the mall - it is a straight run east on Kendall Dr from where I stay - if flies and little jigs do not work I will try the Gold x-raps that kxxxx recommends - I still think it is possible to find some peacocks in Snapper Creak near 107 ave - I had some followers last year near a bridge and will give that a workout - then there are the lakes in Kendall - I have seen peacocks in every larger lake I have fished in the Kendall area - my nephew knows many of the smaller lakes but he is too busy now managing a department in one of the big box office supplies stores

I am curious about your big largemouth bass. Were they near where you caught the snook? And, is that brackish water or do those control structures really keep the salinity down?
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

bluebill, hit the Hammocks.

I've caught many nice Peacocks in Snapper Crk. out west, Off 117th, around the bend to the North, and some nice Snook the other direction by Dadelend train station. That canal connects with the Tamiami Trail up by FIU.

Husky-Jerk or X-crap Gold/Black is gold when fishing for peacocks with spinning/baitcaster.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
vivian

Post by vivian »

Thanks Krash! I could walk to that canal and do most evenings for Xercise. Honestly never thought about canal fishing down here.....opportunities missed :shock:
bonefishwhisperer

Vivian...I take the dogs for a run all the time near miami airport lakes at the canal leading away from the lakes...they run and play and I carry a rod...I have caught many tarpon , snook and jacks as well as peacocks and carp while the dogs are jumping in the water...to me they are way more fishy than the bay right now...I always see snook well over 40 inches every time I go...even all the way at FIU...I seen 3 snook off of flagler for gosh sakes just yesterday...there are even snook on Krome rd canals, both sides...never seen so many snook like this yr
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

krash - thanks for the tips on peacocks - The Hammocks is usually one of my stops - and I will google earth Snapper Creek canal at 117th to see where you suggest