Semi-success

Flamingo to Big Bend
Redman0421

Semi-success

Post by Redman0421 »

Went out this weekend to Weedon Island. Didn't want to do too much paddling, since it was the first time I was there and I didn't want to get lost. Got out there by 8, so the tide was still pretty low. Fished a flat by the mangroves with my new gold Rapala Skitterwalk for a while. Didn't catch anything there tough, because of some pretty arrogant kayakers coming through my cast area. Saw some silhouettes and v-wakes in the water but nothing bit. So as the tide got higher I moved south. started to troll a hammered gold spoon in the boat channel just while I was exploring and caught two eel-looking things. Kinda brown and tan with a triangular jaw?

By the way: sorry for the lack of pictures, but I don't have a waterproof case for my camera just yet, but I'm working on it.

So at about 12 pm, it was high tide and started to drift on a flat. At the time i was using a gold DOA jerk bait on a 1/4 oz red jig. I was still on the west side when I caught in fairly rapid succession a ladyfish, and then a slot trout(19 in) which soon became dinner(yummmm). I went back to where I started on the other side of the flat and drifted across again when I hooked a mystery fish that got of, and a slot redfish which didn't bite hard enough for me to get a decent hook so it got off :evil: . Then everything died.
Good day overall.
"Hey now Partner- that wasn't very nice."
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Semi-success

Post by Todd »

Redman0421 wrote: caught two eel-looking things. Kinda brown and tan with a triangular jaw?
More than likely a lizardfish.

You will run into a lot of kayakers that seem arrogant in the Weedon area, most of them are recreational paddlers and unfortunately do not know any better and will paddle through your fishing area. You need to move away from the launch to get away from them, or start a lot earlier.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

I was there on Sunday and the same thing happen to me too. People just paddled right in front of my line , The only thing they can say is" Sorry We Are trying to stay on the trail" Sorry my azz the trail is every where. First time in a long time I didn't catch fish.
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
Redman0421

Post by Redman0421 »

True, even though i was still on the west side of the island, as I went further south I started seeing a lot less rec yakers and more fisherman which were much more respectful.
"Hey now Partner- that wasn't very nice."
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

wilfish wrote:I was there on Sunday and the same thing happen to me too. People just paddled right in front of my line , The only thing they can say is" Sorry We Are trying to stay on the trail" Sorry my rutabaga the trail is every where. First time in a long time I didn't catch fish.
If you are fishing in a trail or a channel you should expect boat traffic. They have the right to be there and if it is a constricted area you should be prepared for it.
Credo quia absurdum