Friday, 7/9 Miguel Bay

Hooked

Friday, 7/9 Miguel Bay

Post by Hooked »

0-dark thirty tomorrow (first light). Yellow Prowler. old guy in an orange shirt....

Paddle up and say hi, or PM if you might be there.

Lou
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
Hooked

Re: Friday, 7/9 Miguel Bay

Post by Hooked »

It is rare in my personal fishing experience that a plan actually works. But today, well, it was a good day!

(No pics, my waterproof camera is still on the not-yet-budgeted list).

Started as planned - on the water at first light. Had my trusted bone-color Spook Jr on the topwater rod, a jig and plastic on my Noles-Special, and a foam popper on the fly rod.

Launched on the incoming at Miguel. Paddled over to the outside grass flats, sent the Spook out in search of the first fish. Second cast - whap! Very nice trout, 22 inches. Unhook and repeat - several times. Best trout was a nudge over 25", best one I've caught at Miguel, ever.

Started to head into the bay proper when I see a fuss at close range on the surface. Grabbed the fly rod, and started catching ladyfish. Not exciting to most of us, but hey, first fly caught fish in months! A couple of small trout came up to the fly as well.

About 8:00 now, time to get into the trees. Eased back into Miguel, into a nice little hole where I've found reds before. Mullet everywhere, it just feels fishy.... First cast into the trees, a little too much coffee, able to snatch it out without incident. Recalibrate, reload, and fire.... BOOM! Big red explodes on my plug! Nice 33" fish, sent on her way after a good tussle.

Slide on back into the corner, where water runs through a mangrove tunnel. Lay the plug down the left side of the tunnel and yea verily, another red, this one over slot.

Every great day also brings with it a chance for a touch of humility. While bait flingers were scoring on snook, no such luck for me today. But no complaints. A good way to spend my last (I hope) weekday of unemployment. Back to the office life on Monday.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Lou
:cheers:
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Cool Lou, a good day on the water!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Great report, Lou. Gotta love those big reds, especially the ones on the end of your line!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Well done sir!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

WTG Lou..........nice day...........NOW get back to WORK......leave those weekday Reds to me n the weekday boys and gals :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!