Malibu X-13

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Heywood

Malibu X-13

Post by Heywood »

Malibu Kayaks
X-13

Disclaimer: I am sponsored by Malibu Kayaks.

Length: 13'10"
Weight: 60 lbs
Width:
(at beam) 29”
Depth:
(from waterline) 4"
Footrests: Adjustable
Foot Track System
Max. load: 450 lbs.

“The Malibu Kayaks X-13 offers both speed and stability for a wide range of paddlers with a plethora of fishing ideas! Includes spacious bow storage and our patented Low Profile Gator Hatch child’s seat, center hatch with bag, side carry/paddle holders, large open rear well,4 flush mounted rod holders located in the rear.”

Weather conditions: I spent three days paddling this kayak, the weather conditions were very ideal. Lite winds in the mornings, slightly increasing winds on the third day. I have paddled this kayak in some extreme winds before, it handles very well. A bit wet in the chop, but hey it’s a kayak, you’re gonna get wet sometime.

Tracking: This kayak tracks very well. It does have a bit of back and forth motion when paddling, but it does hold a course well. Mine is equipped with a rudder which I mainly use while drifting a shoreline. It enables me to keep the bow pointed in the direction I want without having to constantly adjust with the paddle, keeping my hands free for fishing.
With a very low profile, it doesn’t want to weather vane like other kayaks.

Speed: Having paddled a Stealth 14 for the last year, I was really looking forward to a kayak with a little more speed. The X-13 fits that bill. Averaging a steady 4 to 5 knots, I found it easy to keep this pace up for extended periods of time.

Maneuverability: At 13’ 10” the X-13 is very maneuverable. Even without the rudder, I found it easy to turn quickly. In tight quarters, it handles very well.

Stability: After a year in the Stealth, the X-13 took some getting used to. At 29” wide, it’s not what I was used to. But it didn’t take long to find my balance in it. Being a big guy, 6’ 2” and 245 lbs I was worried that this kayak might be a bit on the small side for me, but I found that not to be the case. I had no problems getting in and out, even in deeper water. Reaching for items in the rear tank well was no problem; they are a bit closer to you than in the Stealth. I have not tested this kayak off the beach yet, but I would feel safe out in moderate chop and surf.

Hull Slap: For some, this can be a make or break point with a kayak. There is none with the X-13. While wading and pulling you're kayak behind you, I have found hull slap to be a real problem. I waded extensively with this kayak and had no problem with any hull slap.

Weight: Weighing in at 60 lbs, I found it very easy to carry and load on my vehicle. It would also be very easy to load onto a small SUV or compact car. The carry straps on the sides have ample clearance as not to crush your knuckles while carrying the kayak.

Storage: The front Gator Hatch that is so common on other Malibu models has been redesigned with a better seal and strap system. Allowing a huge front storage capacity, it is a bit awkward to access while on the water. The hinged center hatch located in the cockpit is great for storing a tackle tray or other items. I plan on covering mine with some Seadek material as the black plastic can get very hot in the sunlight. The single latch makes access a breeze while sitting in the kayak.

Overall, I was very impressed with this kayak. With no forward flush mounted rod holders, strapping the paddle or a stakeout pole is much easier. The only drawback is the round bungee holders. These were used instead of the hooks, which were much easier. You also find this round bungee holder for the front hatch. I plan on replacing mine with a hook.

If you’re looking for a Malibu with more speed for those long days, then the X-13 is what you’re looking for.

"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
justabucup

Re: Malibu X-13

Post by justabucup »

Nice review Bill......... NOW GET OUT OF MY HOLE YOU F.I.H.J.!
Credo quia absurdum
americanrobster

Re: Malibu X-13

Post by americanrobster »

Thanks for the review Bill. Just curious, did you like the Stealth or the X-13 better? A friend of mine (I think you met him awhile ago) is looking to get a Malibu.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'