New reel really works

Phnd

New reel really works

Post by Phnd »

Thought I'd mention I had a chance to service a WaveSpin awhile back and I have to say its a nice, well made reel, especially for the price range. Due to my style of fishing I'm prone to knots. Sometimes I get none and other times I could get 6 a day so I decided to buy one and give it a try. I've used the reel 5 or 6 time in the past week without one knot. As designed, any loose wraps have laid in the offsets of the spool then worked themselves out in proper fashion as the line uncoils. It also seems the line lay on the spool is better than my other reels. It could be my twitching and reeling is more in sync, maybe the cranking gear ratio which is slightly less than my other reel or maybe the spool size/diameter or possibly the gear ratio of the oscillator or maybe a combination of all the above. I can't tell which but the line lays nice and tight, I have fewer loose wraps and most of all, no knots. (so far)

If your in the market for a reel and prone to knots, consider the WaveSpin. If you'll check EBay you can get new ones in the $50 range. Normal price is around $80.

I'm of the belief that if you have a good product it should be stated as such. Since the marketing materials surrounding the WaveSpin is full of hype and horse crap I wouldn't have considered purchasing one until I had a chance to see one up close and personal. It does its job and its a pretty hardy reel.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
Offlander

Re: New reel really works

Post by Offlander »

Thanks for the review I was thinking about getting one myself what size do you own?
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

I've been using Okuma VS-40's so I bought the 40 size WaveSpin. I believe the size 30 would be closer to the VS-40.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I'll bet you a hundred bucks they dont work!

I have two sitting in my den that are the biggest piles of junk you ever saw. Dont believe the hype.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Phnd wrote:...... so I decided to buy one and give it a try. I've used the reel 5 or 6 time in the past week without one knot.

I'm of the belief that if you have a good product it should be stated as such. Since the marketing materials surrounding the WaveSpin is full of hype and horse crap I wouldn't have considered purchasing one until I had a chance to see one up close and personal. It does its job and its a pretty hardy reel.
I think Phil said that, through actual use, they did work for him.

Not a good bet there Bill. You want Phil's address to send that $100?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I'll give him my reels and lets see if they work for him.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Look, I'm glad he likes them. Really.

But here's my proof.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Phnd wrote: Due to my style of fishing I'm prone to knots.
Please explain how your style of fishing makes you prone to knots. :scratch:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Todd. About 98% of the time I use a mirr-o-lure with constant erratic twitching. If my twitching and reeling isn't in sync its real easy to get loose wraps, which is the cause for knots. I try to reel just enough to keep the line tight without swimming the lure. The same as you would when lifting up on a fish then reeling down.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Phil,

Next time you go out, try a weedless jerk bait on a 1/8 oz hook. I would be very curious to see how it works. On my reels, there is a big gap on the top and bottom of the spool, as if the shaft was too long. This cause's the line to roll over in the gap created. I had nothing but wind knots.

Other than that, I found the reels to be very smooth, great drag and easy to care for. However, I did not use them for very long, so not sure how they would hold up over time.
Rik

Post by Rik »

I still think you should send him $100 for losing the bet.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

That gap on the top and bottom of your spool sounds like a problem. The top of the spool unscrews for quick line removal. Maybe yours is partly unscrewed. I'd suggest your check it and also remove the spool to make sure there's a plastic washer between the spool and the star washer for the clicker. If that's missing line will load more towards the top of the spool in a cone shape. If an extra washer was added line would load more towards the bottom of the spool.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Phnd wrote:That gap on the top and bottom of your spool sounds like a problem. The top of the spool unscrews for quick line removal. Maybe yours is partly unscrewed. I'd suggest your check it and also remove the spool to make sure there's a plastic washer between the spool and the star washer for the clicker. If that's missing line will load more towards the top of the spool in a cone shape. If an extra washer was added line would load more towards the bottom of the spool.
First thing I checked, both the spool and washers. They are correct.

Rik, stay out of this :lol:

With a heavy lure, it wouldnt be a problem. Try you're reels with a lite weight lure.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Like a moth to a lamp, Heywood....

I think it is all about knowledge. Phil knows how to use (in addition to doing one heck of a job fixing them!!) a spinning reel . You....not so well. Maybe when you pay off that $100 bet Phil will put it towards some lessons for you.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Send me the one you have the most problems with along with whatever lure you throw. I'm sure I can figure out where the problem is. I'll take it out and use it if you don't mind.

Yesterday I was throwing plastic with a hook only and for awhile 1/16 oz. weighted hook without troubles.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Rik wrote:Like a moth to a lamp, Heywood....

I think it is all about knowledge. Phil knows how to use (in addition to doing one heck of a job fixing them!!) a spinning reel . You....not so well. Maybe when you pay off that $100 bet Phil will put it towards some lessons for you.

Thanks Rik :scratch: