Handling sharks?

overtheedge86

Handling sharks?

Post by overtheedge86 »

This past weekend while out fishing the edge of a flat i caught my first kayak shark(~3' black tip). Although it was a fun fight i was pretty nervous about handling the thing, I ended up cutting the line at the hook eye and he swam off fine. Now i have also noticed alot of sharks popping up in reports lately and was hoping some of the more experienced can chime in and gives some pointers on how to properly handle a shark. I couldn't imagine hooking into a 5-6 footers or more!
gsellers1245

Re: Handling sharks?

Post by gsellers1245 »

Best advice i can give you is not to hold them by their tail. They will bend around and bite you. As far as removing the hook, if it is not swallowed i recommend using a dehooker. They work wonders. Handling the samll ones for a short period i suggest grabbing around the neck area just behind the head firmly and the tail with the other hand. Of course they are like sandpaper so grip is plentiful. Hope this helps. The little ones are powerful so be ready for them to flail.

Also if you dont plan on keeping the shark, handle as little as possible and release as soon as possible. Sharks can die from exhaustion too.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Dehookers are a great tool of this. He's right!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Cooknfish recommends bear hugging the shark in order to immobilize it for easy hook removal.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Shep

Post by Shep »

Be a man and lip it and use some pliers. Just dony yell the ER I told you you yo do it that way. :wink:
New place, new fishing adventures.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Just cut the line, everytime.
But please don't tell PETA that I said that.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

I second that. Reel him up somewhere close then cut the line. Its not worth the risk while bobbing around in a kayak.

PETA can go pound sand. There a bunch of nobody's who want to be somebody.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

I am also with Terry on this. The risk outweighs the reward of keeping a hook. Same goes for stingrays in my book.
Kayakpirate

Post by Kayakpirate »

What could possibly go wrong? EVERYTHING!!! Cut the line always.
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

Just make sure you keep the yak bteween you and the shark :D

P.S. Don't Try this at home kids

If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!!
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

If you are not willing to be responsible enough to remove the hook, please don't target sharks. This summer I removed seven hooks which were already in the shark's jaw when I took it to boat to remove mine. Three of these wounds were infected. A good SS de-hooker will save your hands from the business end and ensure that the shark will not suffer or die because you weren't willing to do the right thing. Or, use your hands if you don't have a de-hooker. You went out of your way to get the hook there, be responsible enough to get it back. As JayB would say "It's your dog -you walk it". Yes, I am taking the tree-hugger position on this issue. Don't get used to it. That is all.

UT
Please, call me Kate
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

:cheers:
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Uncle Tommy wrote:As JayB would say "It's your dog -you walk it".
Glad someone said it.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Uncle Tommy wrote:If you are not willing to be responsible enough to remove the hook, please don't target sharks.
Thank you Tommy. You beat me to the punch.
If you're that inexperienced or just scared, you shouldn't be doing it.

And yes, I did say that I was going to have to bear hug that shark to get the hook out... would have done it too if it wasn't for Jeff and his needlenose pliers. He spoils all the fun!
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

CooKnFish wrote:If you're that inexperienced or just scared, you shouldn't be doing it.
With that attitude, no one would have ever caught a shark, much less caught one from a kayak. You can't be experienced without having previously been inexperienced. I don't think you should let fear, or a lack of experience stop you from doing things like targeting sharks. Just make sure you educate yourself (as the poster is trying to do, although 1 trip late) so that you know what to do when in the position to release a shark.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

That comment was not in response of the original poster. Perhaps "inexperienced" was a poor choice of words. I should have said something like ignorant, uneducated or just plain dumb. :lol:
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~