A New Beginning

CooKnFish

A New Beginning

Post by CooKnFish »

So starts the next chapter in the CooKnFish saga.
I picked up a Hobie Quest yesterday (Made sure it was yellow in case I needed to sell it on the Paddle-Fishing.com forum) and took it dor a couple mile test paddle on the river. It was quite breezy, perfect conditions to see just what this boat was capable of or lacking in. I took minimal gear with only a single rod and my Optio W90.

Upon launching, my first thoughts were comfortable seat, great thought went into the planning of the molded in handles, side storage compartments, oversized foot rests, and rear rod holders. Even the placement of the front third party rod holder is mounted by designed due to the way Hobie molds the boat. The front hatch is easy access. The hatch uses a "toilet seat" style lid that is held shut by a single bungee and is water tight thanks to a replaceable rubber gasket.

I set out from my own personal, private boat ramp and paddled straight out with a gusty wind at my back. When I got far enough out to leave the protection of the surrounding structures, I played around with the boat to see how it handled in the full brunt of the wind. At first drift, I noticed how the wind turns the boat sideways. I made a short paddle crosswindand it was not as bad as I imagined. The boat turns on a dime even in the wind. I turned into the wind and was impressed at how easy it was to get a forward momentum going. The wind does not affect this boat as much as other boats I have paddled. Having built some confidence in the new ride, I decided to take it for a paddle out to the main river. My sister in-law jumped in a borrowed sit-inside and tagged along.

We paddled crosswind for about 1/2 mile. We made out way out to the main river and ventured through some mangrove islands that created a wind tunnel effect. The headwind was strong enough to blow the hat off her head but the Quest punched through it with little extra effort. We came to a protected section that is known to hold some dink trout this time of year so I tossed a jig a couple of times. The trout did not disappoint. As we made our way back towards home, I pitched at a dock and found one of the smallest snook I have ever caught by hook. Judging by its size, I am willing to bet he was just hatched this spring. I could not believe he had the entire grubtail jig in his mouth. It was almost as big as he was! Luckily, he was not gut hooked and the jig popped right out. The little guy swam away with as much spunk as he had when he hit. By this time I started noticing the cockpit of the Quest was shrinking.

I started feeling like the kayak was getting smaller and smaller. The back on the seat needs to be higher and the foot rests do not extend out far enough. I wondered if the people at Hobie might be midgets. Paddlers with a 34"-36" inseam will find the boat to be a bit short. There is another notch on the rails that appears I may be able to move the foot rests out a little further but I have not figured out how to get them into them. The rails are too close to the end of the footwell and the rests cannot be rotated into place. If anyone knows a trick to getting them in, please let me know. Other than that, I believe the boat will work for me for a while. I will be putting a rudder on so that it tracks better. It's not the speed demon my old boat was but it's not a barge either. Overall, my opinion is that the Hobie Quest is a very under rated, overlooked vessel in the kayak fishing scene. I would rate it better than some of the more popular makes and models that I would dare say are only popular due to the latest fad.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
DoubleM

Re: A New Beginning

Post by DoubleM »

It sounds like your having difficulty adjusting the footrests? Push the pedal forward or backwards until its almost parallel with the boat then they can slide into or out of the notches, the mounting pegs have a square part that's only accessible as such. I like my hobie quest for most the reasons you described. My only complaint is it's hard to stand and fish out of because of how easy the boat turns. It's fast which means it drifts fast too. The hulls great but I don't know, I think if I get another hobie it'll have pedals.
I found the stock seat to not be to comfy and had back discomfort. I overcame it with a throw able boat cushion under the loaf and my pfd over the rear plastic part of the seat mold which provided the support that the stock seat doesn't have, unless you tighten the straps down on the seat.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I finally got the foot rests in the last set of holes. It is a tighter fit than the others but they are in. I haven't had a chance to paddle it or even sit in it since I've moved them. I can't wait to drop my butt in it to see how much of an improvement it is.

chincy, thanks for the input. I've got a suggestion for you as well. Drift chute. My hurricane was a lot like a paper cup in the wind. I've already noticed this boat drifts fast, too. Never leave home without a drift chute.

~Mark~
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Soooooo,

Why did you cut up the old boat?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I broke it.

~Mark~
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Oh, thats why. Looks good, good review. I need to look for something different too. My old boat is way way out dated. I have had it for a long time and it has served me well and I will probably contiue to use it in the winter time since it is a sit inside (I know, I know) but I would like something a little more fisherman freindly for the warmer months. Heck even a good ol tarpon 140 would work for me, I would like a rudder though. Thanks for the info Mark.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

I'm hoping to have my "new beginning" before Dec. 4th so I can join you guys in the Erick Bell Memorial!! Should I name this one, " The Bitch is Back"? lol
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I was able to get the Quest out for a real trip this weekend and paddled about 8 miles.
With the foot pedals now in the last set of holes, I didn't feel so cramped for space. I am still getting used to the shorter boat. It doesn't have the glide of the 16' kayak but it fairs well in speed with a cruising averaging about 3.7mph.
The cockpit layout is awesome. The side compartments keep a small tackle tray and a couple bags of soft plastic tucked neatly out of the way. There is also a tackle tub that slips into the center hatch. I will prolly change it up and turn the tub into dry storage for things like keys, phone, first aid kit, etc. The tankwell is very spacious and for the most part dry. The molded in rod holders will come in handy when trolling but double well for accessory holders. The boat even has molded paddle holders. When you place the paddle shaft in the cradles and strap the bungee across, rest assure that paddle is not going anywhere. Because they have paddle cradles on both sides of the boat, it provides a great place to store a stakeout pole. The previous owner had an anchor trolley but I took it apart and put it together properly... then I took it apart again. The final product is a dual trolley that does not ride up over the side and glides like butter.

~Mark~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Gee, that sure is.....uh.....quite......uhhhh......yellow.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I know... I know... If there is one thing I have learned after all these years is that yellow is the slowest color kayak. I'm not surprised at all that I am having problems adjusting to the speed difference.

~Mark~
GatorTroutBoy

Post by GatorTroutBoy »

Can you stand up in it?
~Mike~ aka GTB
no time

Post by no time »

Mark, Can you post a pic of a birds eye view of your rod holders that are in front of you. How are they attached? Nice rig.

Thanks
Bob
What can I do to help?
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Mark, I did something similar with my anchor trolley. I couldn't make it go the entire length of the boat so I made it in two sections a front and a rear. I can also move each section from the left side to the right side if needed. But then it interferes with my paddle holder that I installed on my boat. It did not have a paddle cradle. Is there a post in the rigged boats section yet?
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

no time wrote:Mark, Can you post a pic of a birds eye view of your rod holders that are in front of you. How are they attached? Nice rig.

Thanks
Bob

Bob, you may already know this, but that is a Scotty Triple Rod Holder that mounts on to a standard Scotty mount.

HERE is a LINK
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
no time

Post by no time »

I thought so. Thanks for confirming that..
What can I do to help?
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

This angle gives a little better look at the mount. It is perfectly (luckily) mounted where I can use the triple mount and it doesn't whack my shins.

~Mark~