New v. Used

SBones

New v. Used

Post by SBones »

I am looking to purchase a kayak. I have been searching craigslist regularly and need some advice. I have noticed that most craigslist adds are looking for between 55%+ of suggested retail value, even for 5+ year old models. My concern is that some of these kayaks might have problems, that I wont discover till too late. Since I am on a limited budget, would it be better to splurge on a new basic model kayak, or risk going with a used model?

R.
Sam
JoeS

Re: New v. Used

Post by JoeS »

This is only my 2 cents but,,,,,,,,,,Buying a basic stripped down Big Box Store model usually means you will be back in the market in a few weeks to months.....Craigs List Forget it..........If you can be patient you will find GREAT deals here on This site.........I don't know of anybody getting screwed by purchasing a boat or anything else for that matter from P-F.com members, in fact most have gotten great deals........If somebody is a little out of line in pricing their stuff this group will let them know quickly.......Just Sayin.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

What's wrong with craigslist? I just picked up a Hobie Quest for $600 and for the shape it is in, it was a decent deal.
SBones, if you are looking for a steal, you are going to have to put your time in. Otherwise, but what you can afford. Any boat that floats is worth the use you get from it. There are brand new boats that you might have problems with. If it's going to leak, it's going to leak regardless if it is new or used. Test ride before you buy because a used boat will have already developed problems. If it doesn't leak, there's little to worry about. Just be sure to look for damage or ware in the trouble spots (around scupper holes, usually) It's the new boats that tend to develop problems after the purchase.
I will get $600 worth out from this Quest in the amount of use I'll get out of it. When I'm done I'll get another $500 unless I put a hole in this one too.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Rik

Post by Rik »

As with buying most anything used, if you know what you're looking at you can get a good deal.

If you go buy something used and you have no idea how to tell if it's in good shape or not you're asking for trouble. If this is your first kayak and you really don't know what to look for, take someone along with you that does.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

2008 Emotion Grand Slam Bought in 2010 less than a year on the water.
Anchor trolly
Scotty front
2 Flush mounts rear
No paddle

$650 Firm
yes there are scratches on this kayak. (Normal bottom rash)
Steve @ 941 256-5833

Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Check out my thread on the "For Sale" forum. Got a Tarpon 160 rigged to the max with a carbon paddle and new "extrasport" PFD. All you need is the rods and a license.
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I've done both, purchased new and used. No regrets in either transaction. If you decide to go used, I would have confidence in buying from those advertised here. If you buy new, major brands as you see used by these members will stand by their products. Off brands, I have no idea. Good luck.
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.
gulfyaker

Post by gulfyaker »

I got a great deal on Craigs List. Two Native American Manta Rays that were hardly used. The ladies used them a few times and then put them away. They came with seats, paddles, anchors and line, and even Thule car top carrier. One thousand bucks! My wife and I have gotten that much enjoyment out of them already.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

kneedeep wrote:Check out my thread on the "For Sale" forum. Got a Tarpon 160 rigged to the max with a carbon paddle and new "extrasport" PFD. All you need is the rods and a license.
I can testify for the Tarpon 160 that kneedeep has...I bought one kayak from him (the Islander)and had my friend been smart he should have bought the other one. The Tarpon remaining is in excellent condition and had I had the $ I would have bought it. Timing wasn't right for me.

Now...buying used - you'll get what you pay for and occasionally get a good/great deal. I paid what kneedeep was asking because a) it was a great deal and b) I'm not going to haggle when the deal is already good/great. I did do a bit of clean up and patch a minor hole (20 min of work), but the boat is exactly what I needed - an introductory boat that gets me on the water at a low price.

Maiden voyage for me and the boat is Sat (hopefully).
JB
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

jbdba01 wrote:
kneedeep wrote:Check out my thread on the "For Sale" forum. Got a Tarpon 160 rigged to the max with a carbon paddle and new "extrasport" PFD. All you need is the rods and a license.
I can testify for the Tarpon 160 that kneedeep has...I bought one kayak from him (the Islander)and had my friend been smart he should have bought the other one. The Tarpon remaining is in excellent condition and had I had the $ I would have bought it. Timing wasn't right for me.

Now...buying used - you'll get what you pay for and occasionally get a good/great deal. I paid what kneedeep was asking because a) it was a great deal and b) I'm not going to haggle when the deal is already good/great. I did do a bit of clean up and patch a minor hole (20 min of work), but the boat is exactly what I needed - an introductory boat that gets me on the water at a low price.

Maiden voyage for me and the boat is Sat (hopefully).
Thank you..
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Almost all of my boats came from this board. I always suggest used because you are never going to have only one. So you lose less money then if you buy another one and trust me you will want another one.

A lot of shops will let you try before you buy. Bill Jacksons is one. And I hear you can rent at canoe country and they will apply the fees towards the puchase
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

I have a Malibu Extreme I would be willing to let go cheap. $400 for boat, seat and scotty rod holder. Great boat for the big guy or anyone.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
SBones

Post by SBones »

Thanks for all the info!!
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Looks like a pretty good deal and the guy may work with you on the price, considering the drive to get it.
http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/phpBB/topic23661.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I were buying used, I think I'd stick with Wilderness Systems or Ocean Kayak. These two seem to have had less problems than some of the others with cracks and/or faulty plastic.
Just my opinion...
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

shallow pockets wrote:2008 Emotion Grand Slam Bought in 2010 less than a year on the water.
Anchor trolly
Scotty front
2 Flush mounts rear
No paddle

$650 Firm
yes there are scratches on this kayak. (Normal bottom rash)
Steve @ 941 256-5833

If I had the scratch this would be my 2nd boat. Great deal.