Leader question

Wuluf

Leader question

Post by Wuluf »

What type of leaders are preferred? Do you buy a tapered leader or makeyourown? If you make it, then what is your recipe?
Wuluf
islander

Re: Leader question

Post by islander »

Make em because it's cheaper.
Formula is simple:
-The butt section is half the entire length of the leader 40 lb. test (I use 12 ft. leader, so in this case 6ft. Of 40lb.).
-Half the length of the butt section 30lb. (3 feet).
-Half the length if section 2, 20 lb. (1.5 feet).
-Tippet.

I cant tie a blood knot for some reason, so I bought a little Dennison leader making vice off ebay. It's cheap and it helps alot. I attach the tippet with a surgeons knot.
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

Great! What type of tippet do you use for reds?
Wuluf
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I buy tapered mono leaders, and attach a flouro bite tippet. Sometimes, I'll tie on another section of mono tippet when the tapered leader getrs clipped down a little too long. I know it costs less to make your own, but one leader typically lasts a pretty long time for me, so the cost isn't a huge factor in my mind. I think the leaders that I buy are only $3.
Evan

Post by Evan »

All great advice so far. Take time to learn the Blood Knot if you don't know it already, as the connection it makes is far more streamlined and reliable than the Surgeon's Loop, etc and is useful no matter what type of leader setup you choose. Apply some chapstick to the knot before tightening if you have trouble joining 40# to 30#. For larger flies and setups, you may need to use 50# mono for the butt section.

I always use 20# fluoro for Reds, even when sightfishing spooky fish in clear water. If they don't eat the fly, it's most likely a presentation issue, not a tippet size issue.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I tie my own. Tapered leaders are nice, but they are a waste of money in saltwater IMHO. My recipe for floating lines is 4 feet of 30# hard mason mono butt section, 3 feet of 20# hard mason mono for the middle section and 2+ feet of 12# fluorocarbon for the end section. For reds and trout I use the 12# end section as the tippet. For other species I may tie on a bite tippet of about 25# fluorocarbon.

For sink tip lines (I use clear tip) I just use a 5 foot section of 25# fluorocarbon with a 12# fluorcarbon tippet. I may add a bite tippet depending on species.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Be sure to use fluoro or hard mono.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Offlander

Post by Offlander »

BearsFan wrote: Be sure to use fluoro or hard mono.
I under stand fluoro. Why hard mono?
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

My attempt at a blood knot was terrible. I used a uni to uni until my blood knot is serviceable. I also dabbed a little super glue on the knot for strength. Hopefully super glue doesn't degrade the line.
Wuluf
Evan

Post by Evan »

Uni to uni is a strong but sloppy knot. It doesn't transfer energy quite as well and tends to snag more grass. Still, I'm sure that it will work just fine. Superglue shouldn't be necessary either way.
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

Answer to former question. Why hard Mono? Hard Mono lays out strighter and helps flip the fly at the end of the cast. It is however harder to tie.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
Rik

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote: It doesn't transfer energy quite as well
Huh?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Evan

Post by Evan »

Rik wrote:
Evan wrote: It doesn't transfer energy quite as well
Huh?
Blood knots are smaller and tighter, and have less "hinging" effect than uni knots. If you don't believe me, try it. Tie two fly leaders using the exact same materials and proportions, but use uni-to-uni knots on one and blood knots on the other. See which one turns over better.
islander

Post by islander »

Wuluf wrote:My attempt at a blood knot was terrible. I used a uni to uni until my blood knot is serviceable. I also dabbed a little super glue on the knot for strength. Hopefully super glue doesn't degrade the line.
The Dennison vice is a godsend, I tell you!
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Another good thing to use is the search function.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

looking up that little ditty right now.
Wuluf