First Day on the Water!

the_tall_man

First Day on the Water!

Post by the_tall_man »

I hit Palma Sola Bay pretty hard for my first day on the water in FL. I had an absolute blast! The shallow saltwater fishing is completely new to me, so thanks for the tips in my earlier post. They helped immensely. I have alot to learn, but for new territory and new type of fishing - I consider it a smashing success!

I stopped by Economy Tackle on Saturday and Al got me set up with alot of the stuff you guys also recommended. I tried a bunch of different things, but seemed to get the most action on 3" gulp ghost shrimp (new penny) on a 1/8oz mission jig heads. I got alot of shad soft plastics in various colors, but they didn't get much action.

Caught a whole bunch of different species. Alot of reds and trout, and even a flounder. Several catfish, which are every bit as ugly as their freshwater counterpart, yet still fun to catch. Didn't get anything huge, though there was a large-ish trout that broke my line (my guess is the line was kinked, it wasn't THAT big). There was one strange fish I caught several of, and still can't ID. It is a small fish, long and slender like a ladyfish but it's got sort of a rattlesnake pattern on its body. It also has a mouth full of small teeth. My guess it's some sort of "annoyance" fish (annyoing nibbler, that is, like a pinfish), but I was curious what it was.

I meant to get some pics but when I pulled out my camera I found, to my dismay, that it was broken! I only got one of a smallish redfish on my iphone (the rest of the time I was too lazy to take it out).

Anyhoo, thought I'd report back. I'll definitely be hitting up somewhere else around Sarasota this week!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: First Day on the Water!

Post by Todd »

the_tall_man wrote: There was one strange fish I caught several of, and still can't ID. It is a small fish, long and slender like a ladyfish but it's got sort of a rattlesnake pattern on its body. It also has a mouth full of small teeth. My guess it's some sort of "annoyance" fish (annyoing nibbler, that is, like a pinfish), but I was curious what it was.
Lizard Fish, and yes they can be an annoyance.

Nice first day, congrats.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

Sounds like you had a good time. Welcome to Florida flats fishing.
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

The guys at Economy know what's up for sure. They are very knowledgeable. The Gulp "New Penny" Shrimp is the #1 selling color on Florida.
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Todd wrote:
the_tall_man wrote: There was one strange fish I caught several of, and still can't ID. It is a small fish, long and slender like a ladyfish but it's got sort of a rattlesnake pattern on its body. It also has a mouth full of small teeth. My guess it's some sort of "annoyance" fish (annyoing nibbler, that is, like a pinfish), but I was curious what it was.
Lizard Fish, and yes they can be an annoyance.

Nice first day, congrats.
You were blessed with a Lizard Fish your first DAY??!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :salute:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Pmoconnor89

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

Good report, keep it up!
barrynfla

Post by barrynfla »

Glad you had a good time and caught some fish. Don't know if you're aware of it or not, but a saltwater catfish's spines are poisonous, so handle carefully! Catch a good size one and you'll know why they're called slimefish!
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

Ah - very good to know. Yeah, I didn't take any chances handling species I was unfamilar with. Let me know if there are any other hazards like this I should be aware of.
Blue Magic

Post by Blue Magic »

FLfishchaser wrote:The guys at Economy know what's up for sure. They are very knowledgeable. The Gulp "New Penny" Shrimp is the #1 selling color on Florida.
One of the best baits ever........I've caught all kind of fish on Gulp from Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, South and North Carolina. That has been one of my expirements since they came out with this bait to see how many different species you can catch with Gulp........You name it and I have caught it.........Flounder, reds, trout, pompano, bluefish, red snapper, lane snapper, in matter of fact all snapper, spanish and king macks, cobia, grouper, bluefish, white trout, sarasota tarpon (ladyfish), lizard fish, blowfish, sea bass, dolphin, amberjack you pretty much get the picture.......and that is no BS
On Sunday caught 20 and 24 inch trout and a 20 inch gag grouper fishing the flats just north of the of the Skyway Pier...OOPPSS that was supposed to be my secret spot. That place is loaded with big trout
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

I absolutely believe it. I don't know what they put in that stuff, but Gulp is magic! Back home in the pacific northwest I've caught everything from Rockfish to Halibut on Gulps. I'd love to check out your spot (don't worry, I'll C&R so you can catch them too), but where's the launch?
OAB

Post by OAB »

If you ever have need for cut bait, I have found lizardfish to be the best. I usually fillet each side resulting in two strips that has a thicker(forward) end tapering to a thin pointed end. if hooked on jighead or bare hook just right, it will have a nice retrieval. The flesh is white with only small bones. I have found large trout quite wild over it. As opposed being a trash fish I say (bring em on).
good fishing,
one armed bandit
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

Excellent idea! I will try this today if I hook any.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

OAB wrote:If you ever have need for cut bait
Cut bait?? :shock:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

:thumbright:
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Your broken line may have been the result of your knot?? The knot is the weakest point in your fishing line and a kink is not likely in mono or braid. Where did the line break and what kind of knot are you using? I usually tie my braid directly to my mono or fluorocarbon leader using either a surgeons knot or the double Albright I think it is called? To the hook, I usually tie a loop knot.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
the_tall_man

Post by the_tall_man »

Coulda been. I just learned to tie a uni-to-uni to connect braided to flouro. I usually tie a blood knot and that hasn't failed me before, but that doesn't seem to work well with the lighter lb-test braided line.