Apollo Beach - 12/11/2010 more smoke on the water

Flamingo to Big Bend
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Apollo Beach - 12/11/2010 more smoke on the water

Post by jbdba01 »

Executive Summary
Apollo Beach was cold and foggy; near the power plant the water temps were mid 70's; probably upper 60's by the markers. Low tide wasn't uber low this time around. Cownose rays and puffers aside it was about 7-8 decent sized Jacks and one big ol' something that I didn't want to tangle with. I was hauling a bunch of stuff in the canoe because I was to lazy to move things around and my buddy would be with me later in the morning - so no kayak this time.

Details

This makes for nice cheesy sound effects while reading...boku velveta.

Holy poop was it foggy. It was so foggy I took out a) my light, b) my horn. I pushed out solo into the unknown and figured how bad can this be...all I have to do is get across the channel, pop in the anchor pin and start fishing. I kept a good eye on the hazy yet somewhat visible marker and decided to paddle towards it. Half way across I looked down at my tackle box and decided to do a quick rearrange - by the time I looked up I couldn't see the marker, much less anything else. It's pretty eerie being lost and although not my first time in the fog, this was the first time I was "lost". Below are some sample shots of the fog.

I knew I had a compass so I wasn't exactly fearful, but all senses were on high alert. Soon enough a breeze blew through and I saw a moving boat as well as the marker I wanted to head to. I would hunker here until my buddy showed up and we would man the canoe. I fished for a bit and hooked a big ol' something - I suspect shark or giant ray as the entire boat swung around as line peeled out; after about 5 minutes of realizing whatever it was was too big for me to solo handle I held the spool and promptly broke off - today was not the day to be fooling around with anything that big. It's possible it was a manatee, but it was moving at a good clip and had a lot of mass. Definitely not a cobia, tarpon maybe but no jumps. Fish 1 - me 0; my buddy called me on the cell and I paddled back. Course I couldn't find him in the fog until he was about 50 feet away.

We paddled out and didn't do much of anything but get comfortable in the fog and pitch Hogy black eels. After a about 1.5 hours of a whole lot of nothing I figured we would ditch the armada near the plant and venture out over the heavily blanketed fog. We found A HUGE school of rays - much bigger than last week; after paddling towards it I saw some Jacks pounding the water. I figured some quick action would be fun. I tied on a silver spoon and pitched into the mass - no sooner had it hit was the drag singing. Cool...fish 1 me 1; I unhooked and pitched in again; hooked up immediately, but oddly the line went limp. WTH? I reeled and and the treble hook had broken completely off the lure. This was a brand new spoon so I was pretty peeved; regardless, I rerigged and threw in again and was promptly rewarded with another Jack. I did this often enough that we landed about 5 more. Sample size below...

Obligatory action shot....

After a while I decided to try out one of eels and see what would happen. Hoping for a trailing Cobia, I pitched towards a large ray and let it sit on the bottom. Couple twitches later and I was on the Apollo Beach Sleigh Ride - to bad it was a HUGE Cownose ray and not a Cobia. I tired the ray out and only then would I venture near the lure. Course I had managed to leave my dehooker at home so pliers it was...I had visions of Steve Irwin and catching the business end of the tail, but this puppy was pretty worn out. It was so worn out I pictured a shark coming along for an easy meal and in this neck of the woods there's plenty. I managed to get my eel back relatively quickly and watched it quasi swim off. I suspect it became dinner for someone...

We caught a couple more Jacks, but with the exception of one guide whom I told the Jacks are on, oddly no one else seemed to be catching. We called it a day and figured this is what it must be like to fish in CA - fog banks and cold. WTH??

Cobias still elude me...curses. I'll be back. Until then..."Stay out of the fog!!"

JB
CaptainCalf

Re: Apollo Beach - 12/11/2010 more smoke on the water

Post by CaptainCalf »

That's me in your 1st pick out looking for Cobia, but all I found were Ladyfish and rays...RC
"You have to train hard and rest hard to go your fastest." anonymous
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

CaptainCalf wrote:That's me in your 1st pick out looking for Cobia, but all I found were Ladyfish and rays...RC
Cool...that was some crazy weather. I had way to much gear in my boat. I had enough stuff to invade a small 3rd world country. I'm cutting down on stuff next time - had to have rods, tackle, food and drinks for 2 people. I was glad I had my compass and horn though. I'll go in the kayak next time.

I have yet to dial in on the Cobias...I'm gonna keep going until I figure it out. The Biologist said that the Tarpon had checked out, but I don't know if that's true or not. That water is very warm and I saw a bunch of food for them. The biologist also said someone took home an 11lb Jack. I was like what for? Supposedly to eat it...I'll create a separate thread on that, I suspect it's like mullet some people will dine on it some won't.

Were you pitching live bait or what?
JB
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Bleed that Jack as soon as you catch it. Cut the dark red lateral line out of the filet once you've cleaned it. It ain't mullet but it is edible. :mrgreen: :cool:

I have a girlfriend (figure of speech girl + friend = girlfriend) from Trinidad who'll kick my butt if I tell her I caught a Jack and threw it back. ha!!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
CowboysFan

Post by CowboysFan »

That is some crazy fog....Good thing you planned ahead and had the compass. Funny enough I live less than 3 miles from Apollo Beach and have never fished there. Where do you launch from? Nature park? Hit me with a pm next time you head out if you want some company.

Great report keep em coming.
Rich

I'd rather be fishing right now.
Rik

Post by Rik »

There's a lesson here.

Every person on the water should have a compass. There's all kinds of fancy electronic devices but you can rely 100% on a compass!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
CaptainCalf

Post by CaptainCalf »

My iphone has a compass app which came in handy and I was trying to catch some bait on a sabuki but after catching 3 rays gave up and started throwing a DOA and caught all the ladyfish I wanted to catch. Was hoping for some reds to be mixed in but no such luck...RC
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Rik wrote:There's a lesson here.

Every person on the water should have a compass. There's all kinds of fancy electronic devices but you can rely 100% on a compass!
Yeah...not to pat myself on the back (too late), but I typically carry two of everything. Being a Database Architect/Admin I typically have to plan for disaster recovery so it naturally extends to my kayaking/canoeing/sailing/boating. Plan for the worst/hope for the best.

My GPS has a compass, but I also carry an "analog" one in my dry box. Obviously I have the GPS, but I carry maps too. I have a cell, but also carry vhf. I have regular "foam" life vests, but wear an automated deploy CO2 one (you can see it above). I have a soft/hard bucket, but also a manual pump. I have the hand flares, but have the gun...I have two kill switches on my power boat, one that would go overboard with me, and one on the key chain so the passenger can come get me. I fish a lot at night so also have a strobe and light stick on my lifevest. I have two anchors - technically three if you include the anchor pin. I have three yes three extra boat plugs (it's the most common reason for a boat sinking). I have a jumpstart, but also have Seatow. Yes I replace the cartridge in my autodeploy vest every 3 years - people complain about the $16 for the replacement - really $16? About the only thing I don't have is an EPIRB - but I typically hang inside the Skyway, so it's an acceptable risk to me. Lastly in the event of a total breakdown in the above, I have a good insurance policy - I showed my wife that based on my salary if I were to die it should happen in the first 7 years of the policy, because after that the net present value of the $ of my salary exceed the value of the policy. I'm still here so in the event I keel over (no pun intended) her payout is higher now.

Anyways, my buddy calls me Captain Safety.

Most of the above parlays to kayaking as well, and frankly is relatively cheap...but I figure my life is worth it. If you were to add all that up (excluding Seatow) it's probably < $400 and typically a one time expense. People spend $60K on fancy boats and then buy the $5 life vest.

You guys correct me, but I think the main issue for inshore kayaking is someone not seeing you. I see these clowns in their Mavericks inside the the no wake zones near Cockroach Bay doing 30 knots all the time. Going over and losing gear is an issue, losing your life is a problem.

That said, I almost ran over a kayaker in the channel (outer part) at Cockroach Bay because he did not have a light on. He was panicking to turn it on at the last second. WTH?? Geeze...come on - leave the damn thing on. It was a friggin LED one at that - it'll last forever - leave it on.

Frankly I don't worry about myself that much, it's the a-hole doing 40 knots without his lights on at 5am hitting me that concerns me; or the drunk coming off the water at 7pm.

I think I need to switch to decaf this morning.
Last edited by jbdba01 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

CowboysFan wrote:That is some crazy fog....Good thing you planned ahead and had the compass. Funny enough I live less than 3 miles from Apollo Beach and have never fished there. Where do you launch from? Nature park? Hit me with a pm next time you head out if you want some company.

Great report keep em coming.
Yup - just walk down to the channel (100yards?? 20 yards in soft sand) and bingo you're in. Park closes at 6pm, and the warden says there's crime if you fish at night. Hard to believe with those $1M homes sitting right there. It's typically a smash and grab. Perhaps the answer would be to leave the doors/windows open. You're fine during daylight hours, it's the outside parking after hours that's a problem.

I'll let you know next time I go. My schedule is goofy - so it may be a booty call (err...booty pm).
JB
CaptainCalf

Post by CaptainCalf »

jbdba01 wrote:
Rik wrote:There's a lesson here.

Yeah...not to pat myself on the back (too late), but I typically carry two of everything. Being a Database Architect/Admin I typically have to plan for disaster recovery so it naturally extends to my kayaking/canoeing/sailing/boating. Plan for the worst/expect the best.

My GPS has a compass, but I also carry an "analog" one in my dry box. Obviously I have the GPS, but I carry maps too. I have a cell, but also carry vhf. I have regular "foam" life vests, but wear an automated deploy CO2 one (you can see it above). I have a soft/hard bucket, but also a manual pump. I have the hand flares, but have the gun...I have two kill switches on my power boat, one that would go overboard with me, and one on the key chain so the passenger can come get me. I fish a lot at night so also have a strobe and light stick on my lifevest. I have two anchors - technically three if you include the anchor pin. I have three yes three extra boat plugs (it's the most common reason for a boat sinking). I have a jumpstart, but also have Seatow. Yes I replace the cartridge in my autodeploy vest every 3 years - people complain about the $16 for the replacement - really $16? About the only thing I don't have is an EPIRB - but I typically hang inside the Skyway, so it's an acceptable risk to me. Lastly in the event of a total breakdown in the above, I have a good insurance policy - I showed my wife that based on my salary if I were to die it should happen in the first 7 years of the policy, because after that the net present value of the $ of my salary exceed the value of the policy. I'm still here so in the event I keel over (no pun intended) her payout is higher now.

Anyways, my buddy calls me Captain Safety.

Most of the above parlays to kayaking as well, and frankly is relatively cheap...but I figure my life is worth it. If you were to add all that up (excluding Seatow) it's probably < $400 and typically a one time expense. People spend $60K on fancy boats and then buy the $5 life vest.

You guys correct me, but I think the main issue for inshore kayaking is someone not seeing you. I see these clowns in their Mavericks inside the the no wake zones near Cockroach Bay doing 30 knots all the time. Going over and losing gear is an issue, losing your life is a problem.

That said, I almost ran over a kayaker in the channel (outer part) at Cockroach Bay because he did not have a light on. He was panicking to turn it on at the last second. WTH?? Geeze...come on - leave the damn thing on. It was a friggin LED one at that - it'll last forever - leave it on.

Frankly I don't worry about myself that much, it's the a-hole doing 40 knots without his lights on at 5am hitting me that concerns me; or the drunk coming off the water at 7pm.

I think I need to switch to decaf this morning.
LOL! no more red bulls for Captain Saftey :shock:
Rik

Post by Rik »

jbdba01 wrote: Obviously I have the GPS, but I carry maps too.
The maps are fine to help you get home after you've loaded the kayak in the truck. Out on the water you'll need charts. :wink:

Rule of thumb - your safety shouldn't depend on a battery. If you are ten miles back into a maze, a GPS is really nice to follow the breadcrumbs to get out. Until the battery dies. "My battery died" is a lousy excuse to give rescuers.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
CaptainCalf

Post by CaptainCalf »

Rik wrote:
The maps are fine to help you get home after you've loaded the kayak in the truck. Out on the water you'll need charts. :wink:

Rule of thumb - your safety shouldn't depend on a battery. If you are ten miles back into a maze, a GPS is really nice to follow the breadcrumbs to get out. Until the battery dies. "My battery died" is a lousy excuse to give rescuers.
good point!
Rik

Post by Rik »

CaptainCalf wrote:good point!
My second of the year. One more and I set a personal best record.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Rik wrote:

Curses - nautical terms escape me again. Luff, leach foot...hell I can't keep it all straight. Throw me a rope will ya...err...line. Oh screw it.

Hell...truth be told the way I know the port is I look at my left hand. PORT = Left = = 4 letters each = # of fingers on my hand. I'm a simple man with a simple mind.

Course I have two cool tattoos - one on the right hand between the knuckles that says "LOVE" = the one on the left say "HAT". Port and starboard don't work. :tongue:

JB
Rik

Post by Rik »

Do you have 9 fingers on your right hand?
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

That would be weird. Typical deca-digit humor. You deca-digit people think you're so superior to us. :lol:
JB