On the move

Introduce yourself. It all starts with your first post. Jump in, the water's fine.
Mike Hodge

On the move

Post by Mike Hodge »

Fly fisherman from Gainesville in the process of moving to Tampa.

Learned how to fly fish in the mountains and spring creeks of Virginia. However, I got frustrated by the lack of sight fishing in Cedar Key/Jax and quit fishing for a while.

Now that I'm in process of moving to Tampa, the prospect of better sight fishing for Reds, baby tarpon and snook has me motivated. Got my eye on a native ultimate 14.5. Tried one out recently. Could stand, pole and fly cast. Loved it.

Any guidance will be appreciated.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: On the move

Post by Todd »

Mike Hodge wrote:Any guidance will be appreciated.
What type of guidance are you looking for?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Guidance?

Biggest mistakes newcomers make?

A general outline of the seasons and how the sight fishing and each species (redfish, baby tarpon, snook) is affected in each season, etc.

Best strategy for a newcomer? IOW, should I learn to fish one place well; or skip around to others? My preference is the former.

I've got a pretty good idea on some of this stuff from reading the forums. ....

Got a line on local kayak/fly fishing guide once the weather warms. Plan to pepper him with a LOT of questions. LOL.
Rik

Post by Rik »

A breath of fresh air! A fly fisherman that doesn't sound like an elitist! Please don't get corrupted by those guys in the fly fishing section.

(forum joke, Mike......)
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Rik wrote:A breath of fresh air! A fly fisherman that doesn't sound like an elitist! Please don't get corrupted by those guys in the fly fishing section.

(forum joke, Mike......)
He's just faking it to get some free info. All fly fishermen know they are elite. :fam1:

:flyfisher:
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Check out the fly fishing section. There is a lot of good info there. If you have any questions I can help you with, let me know. An Ultimate 14.5 is a great boat for fly fishing. Very stable and most people (except me) can stand and cast in it. I actually like a more conventional SOT because I like to slide out to wade fish a lot.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

dunfly wrote:Check out the fly fishing section. There is a lot of good info there. If you have any questions I can help you with, let me know. An Ultimate 14.5 is a great boat for fly fishing. Very stable and most people (except me) can stand and cast in it. I actually like a more conventional SOT because I like to slide out to wade fish a lot.

Thanks. Will do. You guys will be the first to know when I land my first tailing red and baby tarpon. I plan to broadcast that news to the world.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Headed to Cedar Key Sunday to pick up my 14.5 native ultimate.

After having a Hurricane Phoenix 140 and NOT using a cart, I learned my lesson this time. Got a paddleboy cart. It arrived Friday.

Once the native's at home, I'll post pics, barring technological difficulties.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Got the Native 14.5. 600 bucks, plus tax. Motivated more than ever to get out in search of tails.
NativeUltimate.jpg
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I hope you kissed him when you were finished!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Thats a screamin' deal. Very nice!
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Wow I hope I can find a deal like that soon.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

bigguy wrote:Wow I hope I can find a deal like that soon.
You will. Just keep watching the forums and Craigslist and have the cash ready to jump on a deal that comes up.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
bigguy

Re: Re: On the move

Post by bigguy »

americanrobster wrote:
bigguy wrote:Wow I hope I can find a deal like that soon.
You will. Just keep watching the forums and Craigslist and have the cash ready to jump on a deal that comes up.

As soon as I sell my motorcycle I will be on the prowel
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

The guy I bought it from is Tom Liebert. He runs Kayak Cedar Keys. Very nice guy, who helped me fix my Hurricane Phoenix after a wore a small slit in the keel due to dragging it along the sand while portaging. Too stubborn to get a cart. LOL.

Needless to say, I got a good cart (Paddleboy) for the native. Huge difference in being able to load and unload solo. The open cockpit is easy to hold on to and load, unlike the Phoenix, which never wanted to slide on to my Jeep Liberty. Live and learn.
Sakana

Post by Sakana »

Well, welcome, Mike - and nice looking boat there. I've been fly fishing many years, but I still like any kind of fishing, even just sitting on a bank with cork and pole. Not too much elitism here... Just like to be fishing.
>((((((º> Mmmm, fish
Coffee and water mix quite well...