Garmin Bluecharts

clwpaddler

Garmin Bluecharts

Post by clwpaddler »

For those of you who are using the Garmin handhelds with Bluecharts, which charts are you using? I am confused since there seems to be one set of charts that cover the Americas and then charts that are much more specific. I would like to have detailed charts for the state but will be paddling off the coast of Maine in late summer and would like to have charts for that area, but would rather not spend another $100.00 plus. What are your feelings?
Woody
I fish well,but the catching needs work!
Mark R

Re: Garmin Bluecharts

Post by Mark R »

There is one chart that covers everything but it is not very detailed. To get high resolution detail you have to get the local chart.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Garmin BlueChart MapSource AMERICAS V9.5 Blue Chart - US011

There's probably a newer version. I bough mine on ebay and was happy with it. Yes it was the real deal - not counterfeit.

I think the laptop software is OK. Go local. If you're cheap (like me) you might be able to rent one. The question I've been asking lately is how much is your life worth. I griped about a new autodeploy PFD but I was really glad went it was ugly the other day. I had some other equipment break and I upgraded to get an even better version...

Last thing I want to have happen is be in (not on, but in) the water and go, man...if I only spent $10, $20, $100 more.

I picked up that lesson from an old neighbor who was stuck at sea for 66 days in a life raft. For $100 more he could have been insulated from the water - instead he went cheap and bought a single lined floor. For $20 more he could have bought a flare gun, instead he went with flares. Where he didn't scrimp was on a water maker - and that saved his life. Course if he had the flare gun he would have been rescued in 2-3 days - vs 66.

He had an EPIRB, but they sucked in the "old days".

If you're kayaking the value add of the gps seems to be less than if you are powerboating. If you're powerboating spend the $100. You could always buy a chart for less - especially if it's a annual trip. My $.02.
JB
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

If you are kayaking in the Everglades or Ozella - a good gps is priceless.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Mark R wrote:If you are kayaking in the Everglades or Ozella - a good gps is priceless.
Sometimes even in Double Branch ... or so I hear. :D
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:
Mark R wrote:If you are kayaking in the Everglades or Ozella - a good gps is priceless.
Sometimes even in Double Branch ... or so I hear. :D
No Chit!
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Word (wow - that's so...so 80's)...I haven't ventured deep into the unknown. Most of my kayaking is more "open water". Should I venture deep I'll have one. I normally carry an analog compass.
JB