Finally.

Flamingo to Big Bend
mayhem

Finally.

Post by mayhem »

After many trips with nothing really worthy to report(just trout, ladyfish, and some flounder usually), I FINALLY found a snook Saturday morning north of the 4th street launch. My first one; 22", went nuts on a spook jr., he hit it once, missed and then came back for it, ran, jumped, what a blast. Even though he wasn't a big moke, it was fun after usually catching trout that sometimes seem to swim towards the boat as if they immediately have given up. Almost stoked enough to call it a day, I met another guy on the water who said he was sitting on some reds and he motioned for me to throw at them. How cool and unselfish is that? He was so calm about it. I took note, so that if I ever find myself on a school of reds(which that never happens) I'll be generous(and relaxed) enough to bring someone else in for the fun. We caught a couple of 20" or so reds and then he urged me to go off and get myself a trout. Good idea so I could wrap up this fishing thing and conquer golf or yardwork or being a good husband or something. On my way to where I can usually find the trout, I stopped by some potholes and figured I'd kill a few minutes. A 30" red found me and wanted to wear out my drag for awhile. More fun, biggest red to date. I'm doing well, a trout is going to be the easiest to locate right? Turns out there were a bunch of yum-yums in motor boats zig-zagging around my location, and I think one was towing kids on a tube or something. How could they be so obtuse when I just need one trout for a slam. Took longer than I wanted it to, but sure enough, I caught one, maybe 7 inches. Just before giving up on a more respectable trout, I spotted some movement and threw my jig in there and caught one 17" for my first ever slam. No buddy or real camera with me on this trip, but I sure am glad I had the crappy cam on my blackberry or else none of it would count right? Best day fishing so far for this rookie, stoked I got turned on to this sport and finally have something to report.
1st snook.jpg
early red.jpg
30 red 2.jpg
red30 .jpg
17 trout 4 slam.jpg
Honesty is the best policy - when there is money in it.
Mark Twain
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Finally.

Post by DaveR »

Congrats! :cheers:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Great report. Congrats!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Very nice, way to go!
Pmoconnor89

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

Great day on the water, congrats!
BryanS

Post by BryanS »

Nice job on your first slam!
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it.
—Clarence Darrow
Lime Cider

Post by Lime Cider »

Congrats on the slammage! Good report. :thumbright:
Russ
bigmackattack

Post by bigmackattack »

looks like a good day. I went there to the 4th street area on Sunday. I used to fish and crab the area with my dad when I was little. What beautiful grass and oyster back there. Wind was calm in the am and picked up for a few hours before dying again. Saw lots of manatees north of the mlk pass. Went hunting for trout but found the flounder instead. All in all a good day. Next time I will try and time the tide better. Saw a cool hobie setup with a trolling motor. I caught 4 flounder but three got off kayak side...wish I would have known. I left the flouder net home. Picture will follow shortly...caught four 16 to 18". Note to self....landing net is a good idea
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

No doubt, way to go.
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

Well.....that looks like a slam to me. Well done!
Wuluf