CapJoe's / Fishon Lures / Edge Hooks

9Digits

CapJoe's / Fishon Lures / Edge Hooks

Post by 9Digits »

A few weeks back while loading up at CRB, I found a nice new weedless hook and shad tail. The only thing to do was to take it home, it was brand new and I had never spotted that type of hook or tail on any store shelf. I put it on a rod and messed around with it in my pool. The tail action and the fall were really impressive. Much better then a typical DOA. I usually give my DOA shad tails a good stretch or three to make the tail wobble nicely on the fall and slow retrieve.

SandmanP started a thread about 3/16 jigheads. And it turns out his source is also the place that seems to be producing/distributing my mystery hook. The weight on the hook was shaped somewhat like a spade and had a couple of crimp marks at the front. In the pic below from Captain Joes site you can kinda of see a crimp mark on the weight. Anyone familiar with this hook and can verify the crimp marks? The marks should be symetrical towards the pointed front end of the spade weight and covered in paint.

Now as far as the tail, it was a shad tail but had more of a flat belly then a DOA or BassAssasin. The plastic was very pliable, with a nice wobbly tail. The color was creme top with a semi-translucent belly with gold flake. I've posted a picture of the closest match I've been able to find. This is also from CapJoe's. On the site, they don't have the creme with gold belly. So it might be another manufacturer's tail. Does anyone know of a shop on the South Shore or Tampa area that carries Captain Joes stuff? From the web site, CapJoe's store is open intermittently due to the charter business and Spring Hill is another world and a half away for me.

Anywho, why the big deal? Well, the next weekend back out at CRB on the third or fourth skip under the groves, I nailed a monster red that whipped me real bad and broke me off on the roots. It zigged out of the bushes and I say oh yeah I've got you now! But then it zagged right back to the trees to break me off on some dead oysters. Smart fish! I've had nothing but serious redfish on the brain since!!!

SILVER K

Re: CapJoe's / Fishon Lures / Edge Hooks

Post by SILVER K »

The lure sounds like a 12 Fathom lure.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
9Digits

Post by 9Digits »

SILVER K wrote:The lure sounds like a 12 Fathom lure.
Wow! I had checked out 12 Fathom's site and thought the body on the Fat Sam Mullet looked right but the tail didn't. Here's a pic from the site:

Tail is sort of stumpy

Given SilverK's hunch, I just did a Google imagine search and found this pic of the Fat Sam:

Not quite the color but the body and tail are a perfect match. I'll be spending my lunch hour at Tampa Fish Outfitters tomorrow digging through their 12 Fathom rack.

Thanks SilverK!!! Hopefully big fish report to follow :-B
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

That's interesting about stretching the doa shads so the action is enhanced. I'm going try that out in the future, thanks. :thumbleft:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
9Digits

Post by 9Digits »

It works for me. I usually go a little easier on those that have the chartreuse tails. Easy to pop those off sometimes. Also, if it is loaded up with glitter is will be a bit less forgiving. What I try to do is stretch the last two thirds of the shad tail before putting it on a weedless hook or jighead. The action I look for is that the tail wobbles really nicely on the fall. Also, look to see that the tail wobbles no matter how slow I retrieve it.
DoubleM wrote:That's interesting about stretching the doa shads so the action is enhanced. I'm going try that out in the future, thanks. :thumbleft:
pbr

Post by pbr »

I have been using the Edge hook for some time, by far the best weedless setup I have used.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Yep I use those hooks too, they work great and pretty strong, I've not had one straighten out yet!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

John wrote:Yep I use those hooks too, they work great and pretty strong, I've not had one straighten out yet!
A true test of their durability! :rr:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

Don't know about the Tampa side of the bay, but Bill Jackson's carries the Edje hooks with a good selection. In fact they are hanging right above the 12 Fathom tails. (give the seaweed/white color a try).
Curt

Well, hell, SOMEBODY has to catch lizardfish.