Easy rod holder

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
bradecca

Easy rod holder

Post by bradecca »

I have an Emotion Mojo angler. To give myself more leg room, I pulled out the console. With this, I also lost the rod holder that was part of the console. The Mojo has scuppers, so I got one piece of PVC that fits into the scupper hole. Another piece of PVC is wider than the scupper hole and can hold the butt end of a rod. Then I sized everything up, drilled a hole through both pieces of the PVC, added a bolt and nut. The thin piece fits into the hole, the wider piece fits around the thin piece and sits on top of the kayak deck. Doesn't take up much room when I'm not using it. So far it has worked out OK. If it ever cools off, I will go try it again.
chewbaka1973

Re: Easy rod holder

Post by chewbaka1973 »

bradecca wrote:I have an Emotion Mojo angler. To give myself more leg room, I pulled out the console. With this, I also lost the rod holder that was part of the console. The Mojo has scuppers, so I got one piece of PVC that fits into the scupper hole. Another piece of PVC is wider than the scupper hole and can hold the butt end of a rod. Then I sized everything up, drilled a hole through both pieces of the PVC, added a bolt and nut. The thin piece fits into the hole, the wider piece fits around the thin piece and sits on top of the kayak deck. Doesn't take up much room when I'm not using it. So far it has worked out OK. If it ever cools off, I will go try it again.
I am sure im not the only one thinking this, but scupper holes are the weakest part of the kayak. too much pressure or wear and tear, will lead to leaks, cracks etc.
Just a heads up.
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive
bradecca

Post by bradecca »

I appreciate the thought.
My "master plan" is to get the rod out of the PVC at the first sign of any pressure on the rod.
I think there is some quote about the best laid plans of mice and men - luckily I can't remember it right now.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

bradecca wrote:My "master plan" is to get the rod out of the PVC at the first sign of any pressure on the rod.
What kind of fishing are you doing when you would leave the rod in the rod holder?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
bradecca

Post by bradecca »

Most of my fishing is by the mangroves. I take one regular, medium weight outfit and one that is a bit stronger. My thought is to put some cut bait on the heavier rod and let it sit and then work the area with the lighter rod. Of course, the next question is what if both rods get hit at the same time. Other than saying I will do my best, I have no great plan if this should happen.
bradecca

Post by bradecca »

By the way, I should add that I will start with the lighter set-up and if I am getting hits, I will not even bother with the heavier set-up.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Here is your solution:

Mount a Scotty flush mount rod holder as shown. The console will still fit over the flush mount Scotty rod holder (that's how we designed it). And yes, turn the rod holder around backwards - that will put the rod out of the way of paddle travel, but close enough to grab when you see tails.

Now get that &^%$# PVC thing out of the scupper hole. :)

You wanna talk Mojo - talk to me.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
irishff727

Post by irishff727 »

I have a mojo and I mounted a scotty base and just bought the extended. And it puts the rod un the perfect spot for me. Love my mojo.
bradecca

Post by bradecca »

Thank you all for the input.
I will trashcan my great idea.
The Scotty rod holder set up looks ideal - it still gives me the extra room I like.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I still use the console sometimes, but unlike whats shown in this picture, I'll turn the Scotty around so the rod angles over my head. Having my lures and stuff that close has merit at times.

Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association