Chandeleur Island

ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Chandeleur Island

Post by ChrisR »

A couple of weeks ago, Sam, Jose, Chuck and I went to Biloxi, MS and took a mothership trip to Chandeleur, LA. Fishing there was not all that different than it is here, except their fish are much, much, much dumber than they are here. I suppose it is because of a lack of pressure out on the barrier islands, but either way it made for some incredible sight fishing. All you had to do was get the fly close enough for the fish to hear/feel it plop in the water, and they would come looking for it. We never got into the big redfish that we were hoping for, but we had plenty of opportunities at mid and upper slot reds, and countless trout. The only fish that gave me grief and didn't eat were sheephead. I guess those fish are assholes everywhere, go figure. I caught just about everything on chartreuse and white Clouser minnows, but caught a few redfish on a gurgler. I used my 8 weight for everything, but had the 9 on hand just in case. Sam wrote a nice report with some nice pictures here:

http://saltyshores.com/wordpress/2011/0 ... k-fishing/

Luckily, Sam was also there for the highlight of my trip to snap a picture for me.

I found this one crawling along in water about 4" less deep than she was tall.
TexasDan

Re: Chandeleur Island

Post by TexasDan »

Good report. Looks like a blast of a trip.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Nice!!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Great report. Thanks!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.