Appling Decals to a Malibu Kayak

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Heywood

Appling Decals to a Malibu Kayak

Post by Heywood »

Very easy to do. Since it was way too windy to fish today, I broke out the decals and sand paper.

Step 1 - Mark the area you want to apply the decals on.

Step 2 - Using 150 or finer grit sand paper, sand down the area until it is smooth.

Step 3 - Once the area is smooth, clean it with denatured alcohol.

Step 4 - Heat the area with a heat gun, I used my daughters hair dryer. Once its hot, heat the decal and apply. Apply some heat while you smooth the decal out as well.

Thats it, not much to it really.

"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Appling Decals to a Malibu Kayak

Post by Todd »

Can I put my picture on your kayak? :lol:

The denatured alcohol is the key to making them stick on almost any kayak.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Todd wrote:Can I put my picture on your kayak? :lol:

The denatured alcohol is the key to making them stick on almost any kayak.

If you pay enough.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Heywood wrote:Step 4 - Heat the area with a heat gun, I used my daughters hair dryer. Once its hot, heat the decal and apply. Apply some heat while you smooth the decal out as well.
If I may, Bill - a lesson I learned from repairing the Cobra Play JuniorFlyReel is paddling around:

If you're using a hairdryer, it's not as much of an issue, but if you're using a heatgun be VERY careful not to overheat the boat. Polyethylene changes state quickly. As you're heating it: it's fine, it's fine, it's fine, it's OK, oh, s**t... Keep your distance, keep it moving and don't let your attention drift... :-)

BFR
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

BigFlyReel wrote:
Heywood wrote:Step 4 - Heat the area with a heat gun, I used my daughters hair dryer. Once its hot, heat the decal and apply. Apply some heat while you smooth the decal out as well.
If I may, Bill - a lesson I learned from repairing the Cobra Play JuniorFlyReel is paddling around:

If you're using a hairdryer, it's not as much of an issue, but if you're using a heatgun be VERY careful not to overheat the boat. Polyethylene changes state quickly. As you're heating it: it's fine, it's fine, it's fine, it's OK, oh, s**t... Keep your distance, keep it moving and don't let your attention drift... :-)

BFR
Good point Greg, thats why I used the hair dryer.
UrbanLegend

Post by UrbanLegend »

Not to derail your post but where did you the the Stealth? How do you like it?
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Todd wrote:Can I put my picture on your kayak? :lol:
Thought I saw one on there already. :tongue: I prefer my alcohol natured.

On a serious note...I just put the paddle-fishing.com sticker on at just above the water line and it's been there about a year - no issues (yet). I did clean it with spit though. I suspect the hairdryer method would work better, but at the time I never even considered it.

JB
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Nice! :lol:

The Malibu's have a rough finish, thus the sanding. On my Wilderness Systems kayaks just clean and apply.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Thats not where I would put it. Under the seat maybe :scratch:

Urban - If your looking for a Stealth, try giving Paul at Masthead Sailing Gear a call. He carries them.

By the way, I like it very much. (Disclaimer - I am sponsored by Malibu) If you want a kayak that you can stand and fish out of, it will do very nicely.