Fort Desoto 11/2/2011

Flamingo to Big Bend
Cajun Welder

Fort Desoto 11/2/2011

Post by Cajun Welder »

Had a good day out there even though the wind was around 15mph...My buddy and I hooked up on 5 reds otal with 2 being slot,about 8 trout in the 14-18 inch range and 1 sheephead. The fish were hot on the low tide. Ended up getting my first stab by a stingray,so I had the decision between heading home and getting rid of the pain or fishing it out. So I took the Smart choice and fished for another 2 hours :D before heading home wasnt about to let that stop my fishing day :D.After I got the kayak to shore it hurt bad to put any pressure on my foot. My buddy read up on it with his fancy smart phone and learned about the venom being heat sensitive.I was absolutely amazed that 2 minutes in hot water took away the pain fully. I barely got it by the ray but the pain was painful,I would compare it to a hornet it was much similar the only difference is the ray gave me numbness and tingling.
No bruise or anything the next day.
This weekend going to a possible prefishing tournament spot :D,ill post some pics.
My
DirksFishin

Re: Fort Desoto 11/2/2011

Post by DirksFishin »

I hope you cleaned that good. Hate to see you go to the ER...All kinds of nasty bacteria living on the skin of stingrays! Knock on wood.. I've nudged them but never been stuck before.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Nice red and a stingray stab to boot? Two attacks in the two weeks dang, who's wading this weekend?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Rik

Post by Rik »

DoubleM wrote: Two attacks in the two weeks dang, who's wading this weekend?
Mutant sting rays on attack!

They don't attack, they defend.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

I wonder if anyone has come up with steel linded wading boots yet?
Derek

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

DirksFishin wrote:I wonder if anyone has come up with steel linded wading boots yet?

http://www.neptunic.com/sharksuits_waders.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like overkill to me, but they seem to exist; might as well finish off the outfit.

JB
Cajun Welder

Post by Cajun Welder »

I was wearing my crocs while wading in about mid thigh deep water. It caught me dirrectly back from my ankle near my achiles tendon. I was suprised how it even got me there.
Sad thing is I was telling my buddy on the way to go fishing about the sock coming through the bootie. :shock:
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

LMAO! That looks like something Freddie Mercury would wear.... No thanks.
Derek

nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

When I got ray bit it was like standing on a soldering iron. The best shot I ever received was when the Doc hit me with a local. I didn't even mind the clean out procedure. I bought a Kayak soon after and never looked back.
kempshark

Post by kempshark »

jbdba01 wrote:
DirksFishin wrote:I wonder if anyone has come up with steel linded wading boots yet?

http://www.neptunic.com/sharksuits_waders.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like overkill to me, but they seem to exist; might as well finish off the outfit.

They do make wading boots.....don't know the price and no pics of those on the site yet, but you don't have to buy the waders (look like chaps).....protective wading boots would be cool
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

kempshark wrote:...you don't have to buy the waders (look like chaps).....protective wading boots would be cool
MarkM might be interested in those.
1 1 12?
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Chaps? Chaps? You mean like these?

:cool:
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

MarkM wrote:Chaps? Chaps? You mean like these?

:cool:
Yea buddy, that's the ticket!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
lamar

Post by lamar »

Here in Texas we have a LOT of sting ray. Most everone uses Ray Guards when wading. I got hit by one last year
it was two months before I could get a shoe on. Went and gots some Ray Guards. Won't wade without them now.

I so miss Florida
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Might want to pack small bottle of peroxide, couple heat packs and an ace bandage in your emergency bag. Clean the wound, apply the heat pack, and wrap with the ace bandage to keep it in place.
If your a ways from the ramp it can save some pain.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.