First catch from my toon

Flamingo to Big Bend
mrpj1972

First catch from my toon

Post by mrpj1972 »

Decided to try out this not so good day to be fishing & it paid off! Got a slow start after a late night of killing some Miller Lite's. Hit the water about 10am on the infamous "River of Palms". Made my way over to a inlet area that had some shallow flat area straddling a channel. Pitched a top water a couple times towards some mangroves in hopes of luring something out to bite, but that wasn't working. So I switched up to a spinner bait that I had just picked up this week. I decided to move into the channel a little more & when I did I floated damn near right on top of about 6 very large snook. They were just sitting there completely still until I spooked them. I managed to anchor my self & stand up to get a better view & saw them about 15 yards in front of me. Again they were just sitting still in the water, maybe 4 foot deep. I tossed the spinner out in front of them a couple times and cranked it in right through them. They just sat there, motionless. Then it happened. Cranking in the lure, one them turned his head and slowly followed the lure. I slowed up the retrieve a little & he nailed it. The drag sang out that sweet tune & I quickly realized it was to loose. As I tried tightening it up, he darted into the mangroves. I managed to get a good lock on it & finished reeling the lunker in. It was a short fight... shorter than anticipated. Got the fish grip, dug the lure out of the bottom of his mouth & told him "Say cheese"!!
Got him revived back in the water & proceeded to make repairs to the brand new stretched out lure.
I guess his commotion spooked of the rest of the crew, because I had no other luck other than a juvi that got tricked onto the top dog
Totally forgot about bringing my measure board, so my guess is in the 26+ inch range. By the way this is the official first catch on the toon! :rock:
Last edited by mrpj1972 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
IntimiGator

Re: First catch from my toon

Post by IntimiGator »

I see you joined the madness. Welcome. Nice snook.
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

Nice!!! :cheers:
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
NarcSgt

Post by NarcSgt »

Caught my first snook on that lure!

Congrats