Enchiladas Verdes (Pic heavy)

Mark R

Enchiladas Verdes (Pic heavy)

Post by Mark R »

This recipe is from the Time Life Foods of the World, Latin American Cooking

CHICKEN-FILLED TORTILLAS

To serve 6
WITH GREEN TOMATO SAUCE
2 whole chicken breasts, each about ¾ pound (I used 1.25lb thigh)
1 cup chicken stock, fresh or canned
6 ounces cream cheese
2 cups heavy cream
¾ cup finely chopped onions
6 fresh poblano chilies, about 5 inches long, or substitute 6 fresh green peppers, about 3 ½ inches in diameter
A 10-ounce can Mexican green tomatoes, drained
2 canned serrano chilies, drained, rinsed in cold water and finely chopped
5 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh coriander (ciantro)
1 egg
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons lard
12 tortillas or 12 ready-made tortillas
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Place the chicken breasts in a heavy 2- to 3-quart saucepan, pour in the stock and bring it toa boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to its lowest point, cover the pan, and simmer the breasts for about 20 minutes, or until they are tender but not falling apart.

(I used 1.25lbs thighs, skinned and deboned. I saved the skin and bone and put the cracked bones and skin in the stock with the chicken.)

Transfer the breasts to a plate and reserve the stock. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin, cut the meat away from the bones and shred it into small pieces.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a wooden spoon until it is smooth, then beat into it '/2 cup of cream, 3 tablespoons at a time. Stir in the onions, add the shredded chicken, mix thoroughly, and put the mixture aside while you make the sauce.

Roast the Poblano chilies or green peppers by impaling them, one at a time, on the tines of a long-handled fork and turning them over a gas flame until the skin blisters and darkens on all sides. Or place the chilies on a baking sheet or broiler pan, and broil them about 3 inches from the heat for about 5 minutes or so, turning them so that they color on all sides. Be careful not to let them burn.
(I tried the fork, didn't work fast enough for me so I tried this)

This worked the best on the grill. I'm charring 12 peppers so there is extra in the freezer.

Wrap the chilies in a damp, clean towel and let them rest in the towel for a few minutes. Gently rub them with the towel until the skins slip off.

Cut out their stems and thick white membranes, and discard the seeds.

(I couldn't find canned green tomatoes so I bought some green tomatoes

And stewed them myself.

In a bit of chicken stock, sherry and epazote` with a little motorboatin)

Chop the chilies coarsely and place them in the jar of an electric blender. Add the tomatoes, serrano chilies, coriander and ¼ cup of the reserved chicken stock. Blend at high speed until the mixture is reduced to a smooth puree. Pour in the remaining 1 ½ cups of cream, the egg, salt and pepper, and blend for 10 seconds longer. Scrape the puree into a large bowl.

(To make the sauce by hand, puree the chilies, tomatoes, serrano chilies and coriander in a food mill set over a bowl. Discard any pulp remaining in the mill. Stir in the
¼ cup of stock, 1 ½ cups of cream, the egg, salt and pepper, and mix together thoroughly.)

Preheat the oven to 350. In a heavy 8- to 10-inch skillet, melt the lard over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it. Fry and fill the tortillas, one at a time,

(I skipped the dipping step) in the following traditional fashion: Dip a tortilla in the chili-tomato sauce, drop it into the skillet and fry it for a minute or so on each side, or until limp. Transfer the tortilla from the pan to a plate and place 1/4 cup of the chicken filling in its center.

Fold one side of the tortilla over the filling, then roll the tortilla up completely into a thick cylinder. Place it, seam side down, in a shallow 8-by-12-inch baking dish. Fry and fill the remaining tortillas in a similar fashion, replenishing the lard in the frying pan when necessary.

When the tortillas are all arranged in one layer in the baking dish, pour the remaining chilitomato sauce over them and sprinkle the top evenly with grated cheese.

Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the enchiladas brown lightly on top.

Serve at once.

NOTE: You may substitute 2 cups of leftover lean roast pork, finely shredded, for the chicken.

(Pulled pork is up next for this)

Thanks for lookin
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Vlap

Re: Enchiladas Verdes (Pic heavy)

Post by Vlap »

Looks tasty!!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

I'll ask it again, Mark, how is it that you don't weigh 400 pounds?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Rik wrote:I'll ask it again, Mark, how is it that you don't weigh 400 pounds?
Moderation! Welll....and I work my butt off and I walk the dogs 6+ miles day.
I have to stay ahead on food for Mom, everything for her has to be blended. So it goes in the freezer.
But I gotta keep trying new stuff so I don't get bored. :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

That looks good! Your mom must eat real well.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

This looks better then the Enchiladas Verdes I get at Mi Pueblo! I would pay you to make these for me for sure man.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

DirksFishin wrote:This looks better then the Enchiladas Verdes I get at Mi Pueblo! I would pay you to make these for me for sure man.
Next paddle in you got it!