Moving to Tampa

Mike Hodge

Re: Moving to Tampa

Post by Mike Hodge »

John: The low, low tides are key. I went twice last week to the Legion Flats (even joined Post 138) during early morning tides, but had a 1.3 and a 1.5 to work with. Just too much water to see body parts. I did see a tail, though, which was encouraging.
Next week, morning tides are in the 0.5 range. Should be better. Let's hope the wind stays down (not in the forecast).
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Mike Hodge wrote:John: The low, low tides are key. I went twice last week to the Legion Flats (even joined Post 138) during early morning tides, but had a 1.3 and a 1.5 to work with. Just too much water to see body parts. I did see a tail, though, which was encouraging.
Next week, morning tides are in the 0.5 range. Should be better. Let's hope the wind stays down (not in the forecast).
Winds are supposed to subside starting Tuesday and even more Wed. Let's hope the forecast is correct.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Calm winds is definitely a pre-requisite for tailers.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

John wrote:Calm winds is definitely a pre-requisite for tailers.
Got a 0.6, 0.8 and 0.9 Wed-Friday morning. Winds at 7 knots Wed. and Thurs and 3-4 on Friday. Going out all three days, but I'm really looking forward to Friday --- and that's assuming the forecast remains accurate.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Tomorrow. Tomorrow
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

DaveR wrote:Tomorrow. Tomorrow
I know (sigh). It's a 0.2, but I have to work. Having just moved here, I have to take freelance (writing/editing) work when I can get it. Got plenty of time to fish this week, just not Tuesday.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Had shots today but the fish were skittish as all get out. Ahh well. Nice to see em.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

DaveR wrote:Had shots today but the fish were skittish as all get out. Ahh well. Nice to see em.
I've been kicking myself ever since you posted. The few times I've fished in Tampa it's been on the open flats, so even a little wind's a little bit of factor in terms of poling a yak and seeing fish. Problem was, I was fishing over by the Legion, where there's not a lot of relief from the wind, which is why I'm going to head on down to Picnic Island. I can fish during the week and get out of the wind when I need to. Oh well, live and learn.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Fished 4th street this morning on the low incoming. Visually, I'm starting to connect the dots. I'm seeing bait --- schools of mullet, greenbacks and the occasional cruising redfish and snook. Haven't had good, quality shots, because when I've seen them, I've been moving one way the fish have been going the other. I think what I may do is get out and wade when I get to good looking spots. It's tough when I'm in the native, I have to drop the paddle, grab the rod and pray that I can somehow control my momentum, keep an eye on the fish and pull off the cast. At the same time. LOL.

At least I'm seeing what I need to see. Before, everything just looked like a big swath of water. ... Can't wait for next week's tides. Got some low ones coming up.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Mike Hodge wrote: At least I'm seeing what I need to see. Before, everything just looked like a big swath of water..
What you are now "getting" is the hardest thing to teach to new anglers fishing shallow salt water flats. You are now noticing areas where fish should be, hard to learn but once you get it dialed in you will catch more fish.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Evan

Post by Evan »

Mike Hodge wrote:It's tough when I'm in the native, I have to drop the paddle, grab the rod and pray that I can somehow control my momentum, keep an eye on the fish and pull off the cast. At the same time. LOL.
Yep, that's a real challenge. I saw a rig recently that looked like it might be useful for this. It was a standard "Scotty" rodholder rigged on the edge of the kayak, but instead of holding a rod, the guy had rigged it to hold a stakeout pole (needed a foam insert to remain tight in the rodholder). That way, the stakeout pole was ready to be driven into the bottom at any given moment - all you have to do is reach over and push down firmly on the handle of the stakeout pole. Make sense?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Evan wrote:
Mike Hodge wrote:It's tough when I'm in the native, I have to drop the paddle, grab the rod and pray that I can somehow control my momentum, keep an eye on the fish and pull off the cast. At the same time. LOL.
Yep, that's a real challenge. I saw a rig recently that looked like it might be useful for this. It was a standard "Scotty" rodholder rigged on the edge of the kayak, but instead of holding a rod, the guy had rigged it to hold a stakeout pole (needed a foam insert to remain tight in the rodholder). That way, the stakeout pole was ready to be driven into the bottom at any given moment - all you have to do is reach over and push down firmly on the handle of the stakeout pole. Make sense?

Definitely.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Tom @ Wang Anchor a PFTS Sponsor

http://www.wanganchor.com/shop-online/transom-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makes the same thing Evan is referring to. I use his pole as a push pole but never wanted to install the mount as I try to keep things simple.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Todd wrote:Tom @ Wang Anchor a PFTS Sponsor

http://www.wanganchor.com/shop-online/transom-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makes the same thing Evan is referring to. I use his pole as a push pole but never wanted to install the mount as I try to keep things simple.
Nice system, but I think I'm OK as is. In retrospect, I think what I will do next time is slow down to a crawl once I see a fish and have the rod ready if I see a better prospect. There were likely other fish in the area. I focused on the ones that I couldn't get at the expense of other potential targets.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Todd wrote:
Mike Hodge wrote: At least I'm seeing what I need to see. Before, everything just looked like a big swath of water..
What you are now "getting" is the hardest thing to teach to new anglers fishing shallow salt water flats. You are now noticing areas where fish should be, hard to learn but once you get it dialed in you will catch more fish.

It helps, I think, that 4th street's flats appear to be skinnier than the one's I fished at Picnic Island, Legion. I had similar tides at Legion that I did Thursday at 4th street, about a 1.2. Big difference in the amount of water and what I could actually see. 4th street appears to run on the skinny side, at least from what little I've fished so far.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

You were already on the right track, get out and wade when you reach fishy water.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton