fly fishing the Pacific Coast Highway

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

The wife and I are planning a road trip vacation next year, going to fly in to Seattle to visit an old pal of mine. Stay for a couple of days to see the sites in the area and then head South, mostly along the Pacific Coast Highway.
We'll be stopping off at the Sequoia and Redwood forests and end up in either San Francisco, or maybe LA.

Going to be renting a soft top car so won't be packing much gear, a couple of fly rods will be it.

Anyone ever fished that side of the country, and have any recommendations, I plan on two or three half day guided trips.

Top of the wishlist would be, Salmon and Steelhead.

As well as fishing, any other suggestions of must see places we should include in the itinerary would be welcomed.

Thanks guys
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
dunfly

Re: fly fishing the Pacific Coast Highway

Post by dunfly »

I haven't spent a lot of time up there, but I would highly recommend Olympic National Park. You would have to take a ferry from Seatle over to Port Townsend and drive from there along the north side of the peninsula. I steelheaded on one of the rivers but can't remember which one. Two other musts are the Hole in the Wall hike along the beach starting at Rialto Beach, which is awsome with its rock formations and stacks; and the Hoh and/or Quinault rain forests, both are nice but the Quinault is more compact and easily accessible.

I also fished the Quinault River in the park upstream from the indian reservation. Had some luck with rainbow trout, but be careful. I slipped down while wading about 100 yards upstream from a long section of cascades and a waterfall and barely caught myself before being washed down.

Of course toward the end of the trip you will need to retire the rods and hit all of the wineries before you get to San Francisco.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Evan

Post by Evan »

Sounds like a fun trip! Have you ever chased Steelhead/Salmon on a flyrod before? It's a whole different mindset...takes some adjustment. It's also very seasonal...any idea what time of year you'll be up there?

I've made a couple of trips up that way to fish for Steelies in the Summer and the Fall. Would recommend the lower Deschutes and the Klickitat, and if you don't mind fishing elbow-to-elbow with the bait guys the Cowlitz has some nice fish. I've also floated the Grande Ronde River, which is a freakn' blast, but nowhere near the coast. In fact, none of these rivers are near the coast, so maybe that's too much driving.

I've also seen some cool Striper fishing reports from the Russian River near SF (at least, I think it was the Russian River).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Thanks mate, I will put them on the itinerary, the wife and I both enjoy hiking so those are great tips.

Sacrilegious as it may seem, we'll be skipping the wineries, the wife doesn't drink and I'm a beer guy, I spent a week in the wine country 4 years ago, it was very scenic and I enjoyed it, and she has done that trip many years ago, so we'll be concentrating on other places,
Alcatraz is on my list, missed out last time I was in San Fran.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

We will likely be heading up in July, no I have not fished for Salmon or Steelhead which is why i will be using the services of a guide.

I have started a little research and it looks like the Rogue river gets it Steelhead run in July and is pretty close to the coast so that might be my starting point for them.

It appears that July is prime time for Kings, Pink and red Salmon in the Seattle area, so fingers crossed I'll be able to do both of the goals.

I'm pretty excited about the trip, been a dream of mine for a long time to travel the Pacific coast and if I can achieve two of my angling dreams while doing it, it will be the trip of a life time.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Am I allowed I fucking hate you on this forum?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I got the I hate you message today also. John and I are in select company.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Huh. You're right. I haven't been in a good place since my fantastic weekend. I'll undo the hate tomorrow on the water. Till then, do me a favor......
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Capt. Jack

Post by Capt. Jack »

I was stationed in the Army near Seattle and spent what seemed like every non-working/sleeping hour on the Nisqually River chasing salmon. Check out Muir Woods, about an hour north of San Fran. My wife and I took a vacation out there a couple of years ago. Yosemite is only a few hours east of there.
Our tradition is that of the first man who snuck away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

DaveR wrote:Am I allowed I fucking hate you on this forum?
Sorry Dave, better not tell you about my trip for 2014!
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

John - I lived in Oregon about an hour from the coast for 25 years and can tell you that you need to do lots more research on the state of salmon and steelhead in Washington and Oregon
in order to have a positive experience especially if you are planning to fly fish. The Siletz, the Umpqua and the Rogue Rivers in Oregon all have summer run steelhead. The art of fly fishing for steelhead has been honed to a xcience on the North Upqua at Steaboat Springs but that is mere than half days drive from the coast highway. The Olympic Pen. is where you need to be for steelhead in Washington

Salmon and steelhead fishing in Calif is very spotty at best so you may as well just enjoy one of the most beautiful coast roads in the USA.

Please send me a PM if you would like to discuss this in more detail
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Thanks I will definitely PM ya, as for Steelhead and Salmon, yes without doubt I would love to catch them on fly, but first and foremost I want to catch them, so using spinning gear would be fine by me.
I will be taking a pack rod with me, I have my custom rod builder on a project right now for an ultralight set up, for rainbows and Browns, I am sure he will put something together for me for this trip too.

Thanks for the advice and responses guys, I am stoked about this trip, fulfilling a dream is always a wonderful thing.
cmatatty

Post by cmatatty »

When you get to Northern California, there's only a few rivers that you'll be able to fly fish near the coast: the Eel, the Klamath, the Russian, etc. Alas, pretty much once you get south of Fort Bragg, there's not a lot of fly fishing to be done, other than going for surf perch or a few stealhead in the Russian River. Please hit the North Coast Brewery and brewpub in Fort Bragg. Great beer and really good food. Also, do the fried calimari and chips at Captain Flint's at the harbor. Oh, and have a bloody mary at this bar in Mendocino, next to the Mendocino Hotel. I can't remember the name, old age thing, but the bloody mary's worth getting a hangover for.

If you get the chance, head inland a couple of hours or so and fish the Upper Sacramento and, if water flows are OK, the McCloud. The Upper Sac near and below Mt. Shasta city is pretty much a native fishery, after the big pesticide kill of the late '80s, and is open all year. The McCloud is a flyfisher's dream; lotsa runs, riffles, pools, etc., filled with native McCloud River Rainbows which are probably the most beautiful fish in the world. OK, yeah, I'm a bit prejudiced 'cuz that was my home water before I moved to Florida. If you can fish down by the Ah-Di-Nah campground, believe me, you'll love it. It is a nasty road getting there, but well worth it.

If you do decide to hit that area, check out Ted Fay's Fly Shop in Dunsmuir. Ted, may he rest in peace, developed the technique and flies for fishing the Upper Sac; his stuff works on the McCloud and pretty much every trout stream I've ever fished.

Anyway, that's my old stomping grounds. Just had to tell you about some of the possibilities for your trip. I envy you, but, then, I'll be heading to the McCloud for the October Caddis hatch this year.

Chuck.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Well after wrapping up the Georgia trip and putting 10 months of planning into action, I need something to focus on.

I guess that this trip will be it.

Seems as I will likely only be able to sneak the odd half day fishing in, I will go the route of a guide.