Good low tide

Mike Hodge

Re: Good low tide

Post by Mike Hodge »

Standing helps. I'm probably going to have to get in some clearer water to make that work this time of year. The water at Picnic Island and Legion, 4th street (places I've been regularly) just doesn't have the clarity I think I need. Fort DeSoto may be in my plans.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I would stick to learning an area, using spinning gear but have the fly tackle with you for when the opportunity presents itself. There are no short cuts to experience Mike, as I said when we spoke on the phone gaining the knowledge of your "home" water is paramount to fishing success.

Good luck, stick at it and you will be justly rewarded.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

John wrote:I would stick to learning an area, using spinning gear but have the fly tackle with you for when the opportunity presents itself. There are no short cuts to experience Mike, as I said when we spoke on the phone gaining the knowledge of your "home" water is paramount to fishing success.

Good luck, stick at it and you will be justly rewarded.
No way I'll use a spinning rod. Already done that.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Sunday a.m. trip for tarpon was postponed. Too rough in the surf, so after a good hour or two seeing if the conditions would calm down, we headed to 4th street. Water was already up and the parking lot full, but I decided to make the best of it by paddling up the near side of Big Island and letting the tide/wind nudge me along while I stood and looked for fish. It was more than I ever stood and it paid off as I saw more fish than I ever had ---and this is after they had been pounded all morning.
I didn't get any takers. Had one follower. The main thing is I have to get better at seeing the fish sooner, so I can grab the rod and cast. ... It's starting to come together. Getting the wind, sun and tide at your back, so you can drift a flat while standing for long stretches is huge, particularly when the tidal conditions aren't great.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Quest continues this week with a run of low evening tides. Winds are supposed to be minimal. I should be able to get a good outing at least one day this week. Headed out this morning to check the water clarity.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Was all excited to explore the possibilities of the 0.2 at 4th Street this afternoon. Was ready to launch at 5, 5:30. Apparently, the storms north of us kicked up the winds, which were forecast at 5-8 knots. They were at least double that. Didn't even launch. Disappointed, but felt better about my decision as checked out the whitecaps while I crossed the Gandy on the way home.
Last edited by Mike Hodge on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Mike Hodge wrote:Was all excited to explore the possibilities of the 0.2 at 4th Street this afternoon. Was ready to launch at 5, 5:30. Apparently, the storms north of us kicked up the winds, which forecast at 5-8 knots. They were at least double that. Didn't even launch. Disappointed, but felt better about my decision as checked out the whitecaps while I crossed the Gandy on the way home.
Hopefully, DaveR has a better report.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Sorry. Saw one fish and F'ed it up.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

At least you sucked it up and dealt with the wind better than I did.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Mike don't take this the wrong way but you need to spend more time on the water and less time worrying about tides, water clarity, wind, solunar reports, traffic conditions, when they tail when they don't, PICK a location and learn it......I agree with John and BF pick a location get on the water learn your spot.....Again don't take this post the wrong way........just a observation from a old timer.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

The absolute best time to go fishing is when you can.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

JoeS wrote:Mike don't take this the wrong way but you need to spend more time on the water and less time worrying about tides, water clarity, wind, solunar reports, traffic conditions, when they tail when they don't, PICK a location and learn it......I agree with John and BF pick a location get on the water learn your spot.....Again don't take this post the wrong way........just a observation from a old timer.....
I agree to some extent, but you need to be aware of the tides, water clarity, solunar reports, etc. when you are on the water. This is how you learn an area and how these things effect the fishing. Remember, the fish don't read tide or solunar tables, so they don't always act the way you think they will.

Also, I understand your aversion to spinning gear, I have the same feeling. HOWEVER, if you are learning an area you have to prospect pretty heavily. Trying to blind cast an find fish with fly gear is not productive. I suggest taking a light spinning rod to locate the fish (I use a gold spoon and Gulp Shad). Once you get the fish keyed in then you can go exclusively to fly gear.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Mike,

At least until you get the hang of the sight-fishing gig, do yourself a favor and find somewhere with shallow mud flats and off-color water, not clear water grass flats. Tailers over grass are often more finicky, spooky, and generally harder to catch. Fish over mud are stupid.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

dunfly wrote:
JoeS wrote:Mike don't take this the wrong way but you need to spend more time on the water and less time worrying about tides, water clarity, wind, solunar reports, traffic conditions, when they tail when they don't, PICK a location and learn it......I agree with John and BF pick a location get on the water learn your spot.....Again don't take this post the wrong way........just a observation from a old timer.....
I agree to some extent, but you need to be aware of the tides, water clarity, solunar reports, etc. when you are on the water. This is how you learn an area and how these things effect the fishing. Remember, the fish don't read tide or solunar tables, so they don't always act the way you think they will.

Also, I understand your aversion to spinning gear, I have the same feeling. HOWEVER, if you are learning an area you have to prospect pretty heavily. Trying to blind cast an find fish with fly gear is not productive. I suggest taking a light spinning rod to locate the fish (I use a gold spoon and Gulp Shad). Once you get the fish keyed in then you can go exclusively to fly gear.
Bob I am not saying ignore those things all I am saying is you can't catch fish if your not on the water......and you need to know your water before you rely on the other things...
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Joe: I care

about the water depth because if you have too much water on the flat, it's tough as hell to see the fish in a yak. Anything over a foot, foot and a half, makes it tough to see the fish. It's doable, but increasingly difficult.

about the water clarity because the cleaner the water, the better the visibility.

about traffic, because if I bust my ass getting loaded up and driving an hour each way, I want to make sure it's worth it in terms of being productive in terms of the learning process.

about the wind. If the wind howls, you can barely cast and it's harder to see the fish.

about the heat, because when it's hot, the fish head for the mangroves. No sight fishing in the bushes.

about the overall elements because if the wind, tide and water depth and clarity aren't in your favor (which happens a lot in the summer), sight fishing is a losing battle. I prefer to give myself somewhat of a chance.

I DON'T care about spin fishing. I've done that. I DON'T care about blind casting to structure, bait, blowups and boils. I've done that. If all I wanted to do was catch fish, I would have returned to those methods long ago. I try to sight fish, because that's what I want to learn to do WELL. What I've found is it's hard to do in the summer because the conditions rarely align. That's probably one reason we don't see a lot of PF.com posts about sight fishing success this time of year. It's easier to blind cast to places that should hold fish. However, I prefer to get my sight fishing skills as good I can, so when the conditions do improve as the seasons change, I'll be as good as I can be when more consistent opportunities do arrive.

FYI, I've been on the water the past two months more than most on this board, at least three, four times a week. Don't take this the wrong way, but don't make assumptions about people without all the facts.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

An update: Fished Weedon mid morning Friday. Had a sight fishing shot at a snook. Spotted him cruising high in the water column across a small bay between the mangroves. Because I had just come off the trail, I had to reassemble my rod. That took a few moments. Then I had to try to find him again. Initially I didn't. Then I did. I rushed the cast and it fell a foot short. The sun moved behind a cloud and I couldn't find him again.

I had it, as pure of an opportunity as you can get. I just didn't take enough time to get myself in better position and I should have had my rod ready as soon as I got out of the trail. I'll learn from it. At least I created the opportunity.