Good low tide

Mike Hodge

Re: Good low tide

Post by Mike Hodge »

BF: Haven't been out in the kayak since prior to TS Debby. Been slammed at work with the new job. The only thing I've done recently is take a trip out to Honeymoon last Tuesday for beach snook when the water was too milky.

I'm going to try to get out to Weedon Monday or Tuesday morning. JoeS was nice enough to let me tag along for beach snook one of those days. The other day, I'll run out to Weedon. I'll give you guys a report.

The sight fishing quest has been derailed a bit (bad weather/work), but once I get more efficient at my job, I'll get out and fish more. The last couple weeks I've been worn out trying to learn everything I need to know at work, adjusting to different hours, etc. It's gotten better. I'll be back at it soon.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Stay tuned. Tonight it be mud.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Rained out here this morning. No Weedon Island trip. Looking forward to your report.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Got there way too early and the tide was late. By the time the water level was what I needed the sun was already quite low. Only saw a couple fish. This fella made the wait worth while. A great take. Must have chased it down 3 feet or so. I could barely see the second fish and ended up lining it.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Nice Dave very nice...... :cheers:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Gorgeous.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Always just a bit more fun with a fly ya tied yourself. One of those seven deadly sin things I guess.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

A bit of news on the sight fishing quest. Haven't fished solo much since late June because of work and the weather. Finally made the effort to get out Tues. morning, despite the less-than-ideal tide. Just needed to get out.
Well, I forgot my fly rod, the new TF I just got. Usually I keep my fly rods in the garage for easy loading, but I moved them inside because I figured it was a matter of time before S. Tampa's finest swiped them.
I launched anyway. Figured it'd be a good workout and a chance to scout. It was a blessing.
Because I didn't have a rod and knew I wasn't going to fish. I slowed down, watched and waited --- and eureka--- fish showed themselves --- wakes, slurps and a few tailers.
My biggest problem hasn't been finding fish. It's being patient enough to wait them out. Don't cast unless you have a legit shot; and SLOW down when paddling. I was doing the opposite. Less movement. More watching. It's really a game of mental stamina. I just wasn't disciplined enough to let it happen. Not enough faith, I guess.
Fueled by this knowledge, I will bring the fly rod next time and see how slow and methodical I can go without casting or blowing through potential areas. It's not easy, but at least I know how the game should be played.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

This man has seen the light. He has been to the mountain top!

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

BearsFan wrote:This man has seen the light. He has been to the mountain top!
BF: I was thinking today that when you sight fish with the long rod, you have to be prepared to endure most of a trip without casting and without rushing from spot to spot. It's human nature to be proactive --- to paddle faster, get to more spots and cast when you shouldn't to avoid the skunk. It takes a bit of blind faith and a lot of perseverance.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

There are a hundred little ways to find the fish in even the poorest of lighting conditions. It is so much fun to discover new ones. Sounds like you are on the right track.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

BF: Thanks for all the support.
Thing is, I'm only halfway done. I know what it takes to visually find fish. Now, I've got to replicate the former and execute a good presentation.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

This is where things get interesting...

Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Went out briefly Monday morning before the rains came. Tide wasn't great. A bit too much water, so I pushed deeper in the backcountry off the beaten path. Ran into a school juvenile reds. Hooked one, but that was it. Saw a couple other nice size fish, but wasn't in good position to make a cast. Next time this happens, I'm try to get the yak pointed in the right spot as quickly as possible, guesstimate where the fish is and take my shot.
A lot of times, I see fish over light colored bottom, but I'm moving one way and they're going in the other, so by the time I could cast, they're on to darker bottom. I've let these opportunities go, figuring they were futile. Next time, I'm not.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Tomorrow.......

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

DaveR wrote:Tomorrow.......

I'm going Tues. a.m. before work. Can't fish the p.m. Tues. Gotta be at work around 4, 4:30. ... Tied some mylar tubing spoon flies. Pain in the ass to tie, but they work.