Well I have gone and done it finally.

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Went out today and bought myself the 154 Rogue River Canoe from Bass Pro. Took it out on a lake just to see how it felt. First the boat is a tank to paddle. Not much of an issue for me being that I fractured my neck yrs ago so I will not be paddling much. Tried out my dad's 30 lb trolling motor. Not really enough power. Going to have to step up to a 50 lb. to get the correct power. That being said, at 42" wide it is very stable. Sat my 200+ lb butt on the far edge of the seat and leaned over the water as far as I could. Not only did not take on water but still had 3-4" to go before it would have. I have two kids, 9 and 4 yrs old, so stable was a big plus when checking out canoes. Many in this length are only 32-36" wide. That extra width makes for a harder paddle but much more stable.

Anyway, off to play with my new toy and plan out some modifications. Check back in later.

Forgot to mention, the canoe comes with a set of oar locks so it can be rowed more like a john boat if needed. Frankly, I really like this option because typical rowing like in a kayak would kill my neck.
JoeS

Re: Well I have gone and done it finally.

Post by JoeS »

Welcome to the Dark(Canoe)Side.......enjoy.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

Paddle-Pedal-Row-Fishing.com

Rowing is a good option for canoes over open water. Pbr has/had a row rig in his canoe. Fred Everson (pretty sure that's his name) is a guide that rowed his canoe.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TRKpoker

Re: Well I have gone and done it finally.

Post by TRKpoker »

Yea Bass Pro have some oars they call light oars. I picked one up and was very surprised how light they were. Wood but really light. Good option for me as a motor backup and really probably good for me to work on my back. I will be picking them up in the morning.