2012 - 2013 Paddle-Fishing.com Challenge Series

Rik

2012 - 2013 Paddle-Fishing.com Challenge Series

Post by Rik »

Paddle-Fishing Challenge Series

2012 – 2013 Season
The new season is upon us and we have a new name – Paddle-Fishing.com Challenge Series. This series has always been about challenging anglers, taking them out of their comfort zone and trying to level the playing field. The new name fits that better. We really want the “I don’t fish tournaments” folks to understand that this is a challenge, not a tournament. There really is a difference.

First, though, let me tell you a bit about the decision process for this season. For a while it was doubtful we would be doing one this year. Several factors - starting a new business, an aggressive and packed high level cheerleading schedule for Todd’s very talented daughter and other personal issues for the guys who run this thing – really pointed to not doing a series this year.

Putting on a tournament series like this requires a lot of time and work. Someone has to run around town begging prizes from sponsors and then has to run around the week before each event picking up those prizes. Someone has to do all of the web work creating sponsor pages, sending thank you notes and reporting the results to the various media outlets. Several have to show up before everyone else very early in the morning and stay until everyone has gone off fishing. Several end up doing the work at the Pic n’ Sips instead of having fun eating, drinking and chatting with fellow anglers. Plus, if I’m going to be honest here, we expected larger participation. Sure, when we handed out $50 worth of free lures from Culprit/Riptide we got a full list of anglers but the next one that required spending $10 on your own lures the field was cut in half.

Now don’t get me wrong here. We all enjoyed doing it but this year, with the increased demand on our personal time, we were viewing this much more as work instead of fun. I think we’ve done a good job over the years of making this a ‘show up, pay your $10, go fish and have fun’ event for the anglers involved and that, in itself, is rewarding. So, instead of not doing it this year, we’re making some changes.

This year we are going to emphasize the ‘show up, pay your $10, go fish and have fun’ concept as it applies to the anglers AND the guys who run this series. The entry fee for each event will be $5 and, I can’t stress this enough, will be exact change only at the sign in. We will encourage public (forum announced) side bets. The only sponsors we’ll have are those that came to us and brought the prizes with them - we’re not going begging nor are we driving all over town picking up prizes. If you guys want sponsor prizes you are welcome to go get them. Better still, get the sponsor to come fish the event and bring the prizes with them.

There will not be a one-time fee for Paddle-Fishing.com. We’ll have a donation jar at the Pic n’ Sip. If you want to make a donation to help pay for the costs of the series and the site, we’ll appreciate it. If not, so be it. That seemed to be a bone of contention for some so it is gone.

There also will not be a season long pot or Angler of the Year competition. You are encouraged to make forum announced side bets for the season long pot but we won’t be managing the money.

We’ll also be making changes in the event formats. They won’t all be slam tournaments. One might be most spots on the redfish you catch, one might be most inches of trout, one might be the “Trash into Cash” event where only ladyfish, catfish and jacks count. We’re still working on that but the thought is to put all of the options in a hat and pull the choice for the day at the end of the morning sign in.

Lure choice may be different also. One event will probably be “use whatever lure you want but it must be purple” (or green, or black, or whatever color we decide on). We’re working on one event that is sponsored by one or two lure companies. If you can help with that, let us know.

We’re also pondering a 1 inch deduction for every logo you have on your clothes. We really think you should come to fish, have fun and meet folks, not be a walking billboard. On the flip side, if your clothes have a Paddle-Fishing.com logo, you’ll get 2 bonus inches. I lobbied for 10 inches but got over ruled by the executive committee. We’re thinking about bonus inches for an angler who has never been to one of our events in the past and bonus inches to the person who brought them.

We’re also looking for folks who would like to step up and be the boss of an event. You’ll make the lure choice, find the location for the Pic n’ Sip, collect money at the sign in and be made famous as you announce the winners. You’ll also be the last one to leave the sign in. It does get lonely standing there all by yourself as everyone else has gone off to launch but that is the price of fame.

Specifically for Paul from Masthead Marine and Walt from MetalFab – you are two sponsors that participate. We love you guys! If you’d like to continue this year, we’ll let you decide what wins your prize. You can pick anything from the funniest hat to the longest (or shortest) fish caught. Your prize to hand out, you make the choice.

So there you have it. The dates and locations are listed below. If I messed up and put one of those dates on a holiday or over lapped another event or gave a date as Saturday when it is really Wednesday, please let me know. The first date is solid, the rest can be changed over the next couple weeks if needed.
Sept 29, 2012 - Perico area
Oct 27, 2012 - Weedon area
Nov 17, 2012 - South Shore
Jan 19, 2013 - Fort Desoto
March 16, 2013 - North Tampa Bay
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: 2012 - 2013 Paddle-Fishing.com Challenge Series

Post by ChrisR »

Sounds like a blast. I like the changes.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I think you are on the right track with the changes, and hopefully the response will prove you correct.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

This sounds great, glad to see you making it easier on yourselves to keep this going for all of us to have a very fun fishing/get-together day. The new format will make it attracting for all levels of fisherman.

Good job to the committee... :thumbright:
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

"My posse against your posse" :lol:

You hear me Paul? :lol:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Heywood wrote:"My posse against your posse" :lol:

You hear me Paul? :lol:

I Think U Better recognize :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Thanks for continuing the series, looking forward to it as always. Seems to be the only time I get permission to fish.
My personal goal is to get the pf-cs an additional sponsor, will be a good chance to brush up on my salesmanship. :)
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

My involvement in this goes back about 7-8 yrs ago (cannot remember) when one day Erick Bell and I went out to lunch. As simple as on a napkin, and probably a few beers, the OLC was born. For those who don't know the OLC was the "One Lure Challenge" series, it was new and different for sure. When Erick was called away from Florida due to a job I came back with the "Paddle-Fishing Tournament Series", not a copy of the OLC but the same intent. Create a low cost, fun tournament with a level playing field. I firmly believe we accomplished that over the years. We recd good, not great, turnouts and from what I saw all had a good time at our tournaments. We both knew we did something successful when others attempted to imitate our tournament formats.

If you talk to any tournament organizer they will usually all have the same sentiment. Wow, this started out as a lot of fun but over time became more like work. That is where I am today. To be honest I heard a lot of our participants saying what a great time they had at the PFTS but, truthfully, in the past few years it became not fun for me. It became like work. When Rik and several others approached me about the PFTS this year I had no steam left. I wanted to fish for fun again. Combine that with having a high school age daughter who competes in high level cheerleading the time was just not there to devote to another tournament series and all that goes with that. She will be off to college in three years and I will never get this time back, family is far more important.

So guys, it has been a tremendous run. I sincerely appreciate all who have participated over the years because if it were not for the continued support of our diehards we would not be successful. I hope many of those diehards step up and take over a day at one of the events.

I truly believe this new series, I wanted to call the "Funaments", should bring out all those who have stayed away for various reasons. I really look forward to being a heckler in the crowd as someone else stands up and announces the winners. And as past PFTS director I get the front of the line at the sign in. :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

As always, I'm looking forward to the series and up for the challenge.
Rik wrote:AND the guys who run this series. The entry fee for each event will be $5

I personally believe you guys "should not" have to pay anything and I don't think anyone here would or should have a problem with it!!!

See everyone Sept. 29TH
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I'll take charge of the Weedon Island event.

It will be in honor of CookNFish. "Pack the Plano" One standard Plano tackle box. Mirrolures and DOA is all you can use. Everything has to fit in one box. There will be a couple of mandatory lures, which will be announced later.

We will also have some stuff to raffle off as well.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Call it what you want as long as it motivates me to fish in places I don't usually go, with gear I a may not be familiar with and meet some interesting people I may not otherwise meet. I am in. We do appreciate all that it takes to pull this together.

The first date is a great one anyway. I have two kids born two years apart that both have that birthday.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

For anyone that wants to take one of the events please get with me first. Before you announce anything.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Heywood wrote:I'll take charge of the Weedon Island event.

It will be in honor of CookNFish. "Pack the Plano" One standard Plano tackle box. Mirrolures and DOA is all you can use. Everything has to fit in one box. There will be a couple of mandatory lures, which will be announced later.

We will also have some stuff to raffle off as well.
Bill, thank you.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Rik wrote:For anyone that wants to take one of the events please get with me first. Before you announce anything.
Sorry. thought I told you already.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Heywood wrote:Sorry. thought I told you already.
No apology necessary. You did tell me.
brunz36

Post by brunz36 »

Sounds interesting...X2 on the organizers no putting up a entry fee. Waiting around in the morning while everyone is fishing sound like a horrible job. I could lend a hand if needed, any website stuff or whatever.