The reds they be spooky

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

The reds they be spooky

Post by DaveR »

Last couple of times out I have found the reds I hunt to be very skittish. Went down to a 5 wt and very small flies to see if that would help. Started out the same way. They were there with their backs out of the water but still they spooked as soon as the fly moved. Finally came on a nice fish that just blasted a Myakka Minnow. I tie them for panfish. A blast in a 5 wt.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: The reds they be spooky

Post by Manning »

Great pictures. Hard for this non-fly fishing guy to believe you can catch a red on that little thing.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Ryanrocksfender

Post by Ryanrocksfender »

Excellent job! May I ask what leader setup you used on the 5 weight?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

It was a panfish tapered leader. 6 pound I think. About a foot of 15 lb on the end.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Well done!

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch

Post by 0119 »

And to think the "experts" say you need a 9 or 10wt to catch a good size Red! Must have been a blast.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Aren't you the same guy who stuck the shoddy treble hook in his hand while throwing gear?

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

All of the Reds I've caught on fly have been on a 6 or 7wt, a 5 must have been a blast.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

BearsFan wrote:Aren't you the same guy who stuck the shoddy treble hook in his hand while throwing gear?
I fish the conditions. Yeah I bet I could dead stick a Gulp in their path but the satisfaction ain't the same as stickin em with something I tied myself. I am however not above blind casting a spoon on those high tide days.
I would rather catch em on fly but it ain't an all or nuttin with me.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

In other words you are not an elitist.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Oh no he is an elitist, no disputing that fact, but only when it suits him, he can look down his nose at anyone, but not into a mirror!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

It's good to be King.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Todd wrote:In other words you are not an elitist.
YET!

I can tell the roots have begun to take hold. Dave, how many more treble hooks do you want stuck in your hand?

(I bet he says zero....)

We will be drinking Four Roses Single Barrel and chasing tarpon together soon enough. And smoking the little guys in the black tubes, I have a hookup. Life is good as an elitist.

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

BearsFan wrote:
Todd wrote:In other words you are not an elitist.
YET!

I can tell the roots have begun to take hold. Dave, how many more treble hooks do you want stuck in your hand?

(I bet he says zero....)

We will be drinking Four Roses Single Barrel and chasing tarpon together soon enough. And smoking the little guys in the black tubes, I have a hookup. Life is good as an elitist.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7795583/a-new-fly-rod" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

The force is strong in this one. Actually had the thought today when I saw a tail. Fuck, I don't have my fly rod.

"SANCTUARY!!!"