Poor man's tarpon? Ha!

ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Poor man's tarpon? Ha!

Post by ChrisR »

I don't believe I have ever before taken a picture of a lady fish. Certainly not on a measuring board. Well on any other day, I wouldn't believe it, but for the first Paddle-Fishing Challenge, this picture of a small ladyfish helped me take home some cash.

Along with her dubious friends....

I sure am glad that I re-read the rules on Friday night. I might not have otherwise taken a picture of that ladyfish.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Poor man's tarpon? Ha!

Post by Todd »

How did you get that ladyfish to stay on the board?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Quite an accomplishment. Most people need a premade steel leader with an egg weight and piece of squid to make catches like that.
Credo quia absurdum
Rik

Post by Rik »

So Chris, I know you have studied hard and put in the hours to become a top notch ladyfisherman. Can you give the rest if us some tips?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Ladyfish are easy, lizardfish are the difficult ones.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Just remember to swallow them headfirst...
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I'm not sure if I've mastered ladyfish catchin' yet, but I can offer this piece of advice....Bring a sponge for cleanup if you are planning on bringing a ladyfish on board. I was cleaning crap out of the boat for about 10 minutes after I took that picture. I suppose it was worth it.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Ladyfish, sometimes called snot rockets.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Todd wrote:How did you get that ladyfish to stay on the board?
....and not take a dump. I call shenanigans.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Just curious why were they even put on the board unless of course they were part of the Largest fish criteria....I understood it to be a bonus just for the species so a pic of a hanging Ladyfish outside of the boat would have still been 5 points Correct?????
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

The prize is in the POOP.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
Rik

Post by Rik »

JoeS wrote:Just curious why were they even put on the board unless of course they were part of the Largest fish criteria....I understood it to be a bonus just for the species so a pic of a hanging Ladyfish outside of the boat would have still been 5 points Correct?????
Ladyfish were not part of the bonus fish category. Those were jacks, catfish and lizardfish.

The ladyfish could be used as part of the two largest fish, which is what Chris did. MikeB, the overall winner, also used a ladyfish in his two largest fish. I bet they both scored high on reading comprehension when they took their SATs.

If we ever include catfish again, I think we should require that they be in the boat for the pic. Just to amp up the challenge factor.

I kinda think that 14.5 inch ladyfish should be Chris' new avatar
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

JoeS wrote:Just curious why were they even put on the board unless of course they were part of the Largest fish criteria....I understood it to be a bonus just for the species so a pic of a hanging Ladyfish outside of the boat would have still been 5 points Correct?????
The ladyfish was used as one of my "big fish" so I needed the picture for the length. Jacks and lizards aren't a huge threat to crap all over the boat, and were small enough to sit on the board for an easy picture. Taking tournament pictures proves to have the added security of a canoe in that if the fish slides off of the board, it just slides into the hull, and not into the water. The catfish....well, that thing got its picture hanging over the side.

As far as the ladyfish sitting still, I think it could just tell by the look in my eyes that I am a bad bad man, and not to be messed with. It definitely crapped everywhere though.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

dunfly wrote:Ladyfish, sometimes called snot rockets.
Umm...that's not snot. :D
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

And this isn't the Way Out There section! :mrgreen: