Flounder 101 (fresh)

Mark R

Flounder 101 (fresh)

Post by Mark R »

Mr. Flounder meet the Folks, Folks meet Mr. Flounder. Mr. Flounder was just released from a watery "prison" near Ft. Desoto. Exactly, caught right off the tip of...naaaa!

I'm using a flexible, thin filet knife. Here I have scored him down the back bone following the lateral line. Then around the "head" being careful to miss the gut cavity. I make these cuts after making a small incision at the top of the lateral line, then carefully slide the knife blade up through the skin (from below) as I am leaving the skin on (ie; not scaled).

Then carefully slide the knife tip along the back bones out to the top or bottom and remove. If I was gonna skin it I would leave the filets attached to the tail, but I'm gonna grill these so the skin stays on.

Flip the fish and repeat. Flounder is weird, ya gotta clean the top and the bottom...well I guess ya don't have to butt....

The results of the cleaning, lookin yummy!

Seasoned with GBP, Sea Salt, and Mad Hunky Rub over drizzled grape seed oil.

Gotta have side sooo, slice up a tater.

Make a foil pan and season with GBP, Sea Salt, and Mad Hunky Rub over drizzled EVOO.

Anputitonnagrille!!! Taters first for about 20 minutes @300° with apple chips.

Putdafishon! Actually it's almost finished, about 7 minutes.

Plate it up and hope to get a pic before it disappears! Well...It's just me eatin so....

Thanks fer LuuKin!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
JoeS

Re: Flounder 101 (fresh)

Post by JoeS »

Looks very GOOD Mark.......I love Flounder, catch way more than my share but fail to keep any......I guess it proves my motto once again....."No Sense Being Stupid if You Don't Prove It".... :lol:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

JoeS wrote:Looks very GOOD Mark.......I love Flounder, catch way more than my share but fail to keep any......I guess it proves my motto once again....."No Sense Being Stupid if You Don't Prove It".... :lol:
That's kinda why I posted it. I ran into someone (else) that caught several and had no idea what to do with one. They are GuuD!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Mark R wrote:
JoeS wrote:Looks very GOOD Mark.......I love Flounder, catch way more than my share but fail to keep any......I guess it proves my motto once again....."No Sense Being Stupid if You Don't Prove It".... :lol:
That's kinda why I posted it. I ran into someone (else) that caught several and had no idea what to do with one. They are GuuD!
I know what to do with them I am just too lazy to clean them......25 years ago when I lived in NJ Fluke(Summertime Large Flounder)and winter Flounder(Winter much smaller) were all I targeted......I love them breaded and Deep Fried.....Thanks for sharing.....I may have to rethink my position on keeping Flounder......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!