Trolling Motors

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Helmig

Trolling Motors

Post by Helmig »

Often the conversation of trolling motors come up and I thought I would share my experience with size and lbs of thrust, something I found little reference to and had to learn on my own. I have 2 SOT's and 2 canoes, a OT 16'er and a solo 11'-9" OT Discovery. I prefer the canoes for fishing, use outriggers and a swivel seat base that sits higher than the gunnels for a better view, plus I'm 60 years old and getting lazy. I could expand on alot more on that but holding this post to power. I've had or used 30,36,40 and 55 lb thrust Minn Kotas. The 30 lb only comes with a 30'shaft. If you have no plans on standing and pushing a small craft it's all you need. It pushes a solo canoe just fine but the 16'er fully loaded at top speed can't keep up with a SOT paddling at a casual speed. Though it is the tortise and and the hare, you never have to rest. The 36 lber uses the same lower motor housing, prop size, about the same weight but has a 36" shaft. The 36" shaft is a must if standing and the 36 lber can keep up with a casual crusing SOT. Once you jump to the 40, there is a big jump in power, the hole shot is hot and top speed rivals a SOT at top speed in the 16'. It's too heavy for my solo. The lower housing and prop is alot larger and also seems to almost double in motor weight over the 30 or 36. You need the more expensive maximizer option to equal the battery drain of the 30 and 36. This will bring in the opton of a tilt handle which really helps when standing. I found almost no noticable difference in power and speed between the 40 and 55 lber which I found surprizing. I have now settled with the 36 ($120). On my solo, it's has a good top speed and I really prefer the light weight. I'm constantly lowering and/or lifting up the depth of shaft or tilting up or out of the water. The heavier motors make this more difficult. I also like them mounted more to my side and just behind me. It easier than twisting back to the stern when making adjustments and is a great elbow rest.
John
Guv'ner

Re: Trolling Motors

Post by John »

Lbs thrust does not equal rpms which is why the differences between the motors in thrust didn't you a noticeable increase in speed.
I had a long conversation with a guy from Minn-kotawho explained it to me, when i put a trolling motor on my canoe.
Its all about the weight you are pushing and the efficiency of the hull.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

I have a 55lb thrust minn-ko on my canoe (15') and it is perfect. Tried a 30lb on it and it wasnt enough to me.
stfla
Supporter 2013

Post by stfla »

Are you guys using car-size batteries? Do you run full/half speed to get to your spots & then slow down to fish? How far do you normally drain your batteries?

Thanks for any & all answers!

-Steve
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

I carry 2- Optima Blue batteries. With heavy wind fighting against me I finally got into my 2nd one last week. Ran it nearly non stop (I was exploring new areas of North Biscayne Bay) and just as a guess I went about 15 miles total but that is a big guess. I will pull up the Biscayne map Friday night and try to give a better guess as to total distance. BUT, without the heavy wind I would have never touched the 2nd battery and gotten in with about 1/4 of the first battery left. Bastards take FOREVER to charge but they last.

EDIT: OK need sleep but I just took a measurement off a map and it was ABOUT 11 miles of distance in straight lines but I was in and out of areas checking out grass beds and such so maybe closer to 13+ miles. BTW, before I had my Minn-ko with the digital drive I had a Bass Pro 5 speed and I get much more out of my batteries with the Minn. Often first speed with the BP motor was too much and you do a lot of on/off and its not effective as the variable speed Minn.
Helmig

Post by Helmig »

The car battery size, I've used two instead of a large one as they come in handy to adjust weight distribution. I've got a 300lb and a 160lb partner. I keep both batteries underneath me with the big fellow on board or I have one stuffed in the bow, one in the center if I'm by myself. I routinely have to swap out batteries on a long trip and it can be a pain at times. So far I used the small deep cell marine batteries from Walmart, Bass Pro and Autozone, approx. $45,$55,$70 respectively and they worked according to their price. I usually fish in spans of 6 hours and was getting 4 hours from a battery with maybe a 1 1/2 to 2 mile distance from a launch in the mix. I picked up a large deep cell as the Autozone went down after sitting idle for 6 months as I could not put down the golf clubs for a time. It can only be bought commercially from a vendor in Tampa thats targeted for things like golf carts and there is a huge difference. As the small battery is slowly wearing out your speed is equally declining. This new pig I got is still buzzing back to the launch. They do weigh more though. Maybe someone else can explain the numbers like CCA rating, etc. because thats were it's at. The blue tops previoulsly mentioned I believe are gel vs. water and would be the way to go but there top of the line and not cheap.
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Yea no matter what battery you get I can tell you the gel batteries are a must. They can fall over and they wont leak. The blue optima batteries are very expensive but weigh 55lb and are well worth it. Be sure if you get them to get a charger that charges gel batteries. And be sure to leave a lot of time to charge them completely ....they take forever. I drained one down maybe 80% and it had been on charge for 9hrs right now and is not finished.