The Panfish Chronicles - Lake Manatee

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
Pirogue

The Panfish Chronicles - Lake Manatee

Post by Pirogue »

Went on a little trip to Lake Manatee this morning. Tried a few different things. Started with a sinking fly, than a popper, then a popper/ dropper. Then back to the popper.

The fish weren't too big, but a couple gills did get some size to them. I was really hoping for a speck or two. But the sinking fly did not seem to work fr me today. Most of the gills were caught up TIGHT to cover. I did get my share of vegetation.

The photos do not really do the colors of the fish justice.

One nice little surprise was a small bass I caught when I crossed the lake. It has been a long time since I have caught a bucket mouth on fly.

That is what I like about panfish on fly. Every once in a while a bass will surprise you.

In all, it was a good morning.

And then you get surprised with one of these. I love panfish on fly.

1 3 12 120 3000
paddle down

Re: The Panfish Chronicles - Lake Manatee

Post by paddle down »

Looks like a great way to spend a morning - I'm jealous. I'll be joining you one of these days.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Thanks for sharing your trip.

I have not tried bass or bluegills yet here in Cape Coral but it could be good as we have had such a mild winter.

I am still busy jumping and catching a few baby tarpon here on Pine Island. I cant remember them staying around this long in previous winters.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water

Post by 0119 »

Better do it soon Bluebill, news stations are reporting that the city council is going to act soon on homeowners demands to deny public access to the Capes canal systems. Sad, I spent many a teen age day on those canals.
Mother

Post by Mother »

Good looking fish. I haven't had much luck with poppers and prefer dry flies, and tiny streamers. But always a blast on the fly.
“That brush beyond the big hump has been calling for a long time and maybe I better answer while I’m able” R.L.P
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Love bream and bass on a little 5 wt... Sweet report!
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

There is not much public access to the Cape Coral canals now, only a few official boat ramps.

But, Northwest Cape is fairly undeveloped with big spaces between homes. I fish these canals on foot as I can cover much more area than in a kayak. Just a few serious bass fishermen and a few teens do the same.

The NW Cape is a huge area and it would take an army of security police to keep people out.

Post by 0119 »

Many big freshwater snook I caught while bass fishing the canals off Burnt Store. The news said residents are upset with the bucket sitting brigade invading vacant lots and leaving there garbage. Much like they do in Englewood!
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Yes, I have seen a regular group of fishing folks that bring lawn chairs and coolers for long outings on vacant lots between mil$ homes along Sands Blvd in SW Cape.

And, yes, there is heavy public use along Burnt Store at each water control wier. The word is that the snook gather right at the wier during the rainy season. But, the bucket brigade is happy to catch Irish Pompano.

There was access in the backyards of the many foreclosed canal homes for the past several years but, that is changing now as the homes are being refurbished and sold for bargain prices.

Do you know how to catch the big light colored tilapia in those same canals on a lure or fly?

Post by 0119 »

First choice would be with a bow! The blue tilapia dont readily hit a lure or fly like the spotted do. Maybe dough balls like european carpers do. Ive seen them early as the sun rises, slurp unseen food from the top water film but never could get them to take a dry fly or nymph. So say they can but I only see pics of spotted tilapia caught. My buddy crazy hooked one in the tail once with a spook. It ran off 40 yards of line like it was a 20 lb. Jack!
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

i have never hooked one of the big blue tilapia. They make nice round clean sand nests but will not take fly or lure dragged through their nest. They are very quick so I wonder if even a cast netter could get them.

As for the spotted tilapia, I have learned to take them from a big pond near here in the spring when they are spawning. A fly on a floating line works. A small streamer or very light weight Clouser Minnow does the job.. Yellow seems to be a color they really like.

I would try eating the spotted tilapia but I have no idea what the past usage was for that pond. It presently serves as a big detention pond.The water appears clean and only receives runoff from a quiet street and woods but some runoff from a dry dock boat yard could could enter in a rainstorm. So, I release them.