Demo Results between Tarpon 120 and Tarpon 140

MLB01

Demo Results between Tarpon 120 and Tarpon 140

Post by MLB01 »

Went out today and we my wife,her first time in kayak, demo the Tarpon 140 and 120. Both are very nice yaks with the seats being very comfortable. My wife paddled the 120 first and was very comfortale in this boat, she felt it was very stable and provided her with allot of leg room, she is 5'1. I paddled the 140 and it was an easier paddle than my Ride 135, dont know there is a huge difference in speed between the Ride and the 140, but i noticed it took less strokes to keep this yak moving, much more efficient paddle. It did not have as much room as my ride and probably not going to stand in this yak, not like my ride.
After a 45 minute paddle my wife and I switched yaks, i paddled the 120 and she paddled the 140. She described the stability of the 140 as a little bit more tipsy but she really noticed a difference in paddling the 140, she said it seem to glide through the water and she had an easier time keeping the boat straight, said it seemed she did not have to paddle as hard to keep this yak moving.

Conclusion: She liked the stability of the 120, but after she got comfortable in the yak she said the stability would not be an issue and really liked how the 140 paddled, flet it was more efficient of a paddle.

The was the first time in a yak and she is really looking forward to spending more time in the water, her preference is the Tarpon 140 in Mango.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Demo Results between Tarpon 120 and Tarpon 140

Post by DaveR »

I have owned both. Gotta say the 120 was my favorite. A great beach kayak for going through waves and turned in a dime. I had one if the first for sale in Sarasota. Ya can't go wrong with either one.
Enjoy!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

How is the 140 in the surf?
Rik

Post by Rik »

MLB01 wrote:....dont know there is a huge difference in speed between the Ride and the 140, but i noticed it took less strokes to keep this KAYAK moving, much more efficient paddle.
Now go demo a Hurricane kayak. Those kayaks glide through the water better then any of the kayaks you mentioned in your post.

They weigh considerably less and paddle better. That's a nice combination. I wish they made a boat like the Native Ultimate.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

The 140 ain't no surfboard.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Anyone have an opinion on the addition of a rudder on the Tarpon 140? Is worth the cost? Or would the cost of adding a rudder be better spent on a quality paddle?
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Rudder or no rudder. Don't make no mistake here, get yourself a quality paddle!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I had a rudder on my 14. Great for drifting shorelines. Don't skimp on the paddle.

"SANCTUARY!!!"