Kayak Purchase: Online or Local Dealer

MLB01

Kayak Purchase: Online or Local Dealer

Post by MLB01 »

I can save $300.00 purchasing a Hobie online through Austin Canoe and Kayak compared to a local shop here in Sarasota. I like to buy locally and support business here and the local kayak shop has great customer service. I know ACK is very Reputable as well.

I know that buying locally if I have a issue they are here to take care of any issues I might have with my Hobie, since all issues are handled by the store where you made the purchase, plus enough cannot be said for peace of mind when you do purchase locally from a reputable dealer.

Again there is savings of $300.00, a significant savings. And ACK is a reputable company, but not like I can stop in anytime if I have problems with my Hobie

Opinions please.
Rik

Re: Kayak Purchase: Online or Local Dealer

Post by Rik »

Local. Local. Local.

They are here to serve you. They step up if there are problems. They need the biz. They are your neighbors.

Show them the price from that online place. See what they can do.

And don't forget Paddle-Fishing.com's long time friend Paul at Masthead Marine.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
John g

Post by John g »

I would vie locals a chance to get close to the price online. I love doing local bussiness but I only have so much money. If the price was close I would go local. I tried to do this in fort Myers at estero river outfitters. They wouldn't even entertain the idea of moving the price, so I saved my 600 for 2 ride 135s all rigged up. They told me to just go and buy them online, and hung up on me. so hook1 got my business.
I love the sound of drag in the morning. It sounds like victory.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

You could potentially save a lot more $ and buy local by purchasing a used kayak :D . Waiting is the hard part but every model should come along eventually at a way better price then new.

Curious though, does ACK include free shipping and no sales tax?

I even wonder if local vendor would realize you didn't buy it through them if you showed up with it and discussed the issue?
I would think the warranty would be with the manufacturer. For example if you bought it locally and then moved out of state, what about taking the boat to your new "local" store. Wouldn't they honor the warranty?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
cag215

Post by cag215 »

How much is shipping going to cost you?
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut".
Ernest Hemingway
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

cag215 wrote:How much is shipping going to cost you?

Yeah, what he said. Does that include shipping?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Includes cost of shipping
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

DoubleM wrote:I would think the warranty would be with the manufacturer. For example if you bought it locally and then moved out of state, what about taking the boat to your new "local" store. Wouldn't they honor the warranty?
I didn't move out of state but I had to go to another dealer, Bill Jacksons because the place in St. Pete where I originally purchased my second kayak didn't want to deal with my warranty claim. The manufacturer even asked me why I didn't return my damaged kayak to the original place of purchase. The folks at Bill Jacksons were very helpful and made the warranty exchange with no hassles at all even though the kayak was purchased somewhere else.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Call up local...tell 'em what you found, and ask, "Can you help me out? That's a bunch of $." Give them a chance to earn your business. I made a similar call to TA Mahoneys on some electrical stuff from Bass Pro and they matched it. Course they got me on the install.

I say if it's within $150 go local. All the other hassles ain't worth it - this coming form a guy who buys everything online. Cars, trucks, boat, tackle...oddly the only thing I didn't buy online is my kayaks. Bought them both used off of pf.com. "Home of the good deal"
JB
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

jbdba01 wrote: I made a similar call to TA Mahoneys on some electrical stuff from Bass Pro and they matched it. Course they got me on the install.
"Hey Bob-Here comes that jackass that wanted a match price to some Basspro crap, jack him up 50% on the install would ya?"

"Sure thing Bob."

:lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I like locals and am all for helping where I can, but $$ are $$ and I need mine in my pocket.

Austin Kayak is a great store to deal with, their services is good, and they usually has what you're looking at a better price, I go with Austin Kayak.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

My Trident came from Bill Jacksons, but I have bought quite a bit from Austin. Their free shipping and no sales tax is welcome. The 10 to 20% off offered fairly frequently is much less than I can buy locally. The upgrade to my hatch saved me a bundle.

I may be different, but I do not try to force a dealer to lower his price. He sets his price to be competitive and knows what his overhead requires to stay in business. I will pay a reasonable difference to do business locally, and as we do most of our kayaking in St. Pete, Jacksons is locally in my mind.

However, $300 is a real savings as long as you know you are dealing with a reputable business. Measure what the difference means to your budget and make your choice. That is just a few dollars per year if you keep the yak.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Todd wrote:
jbdba01 wrote: I made a similar call to TA Mahoneys on some electrical stuff from Bass Pro and they matched it. Course they got me on the install.
"Hey Bob-Here comes that jackass that wanted a match price to some Basspro crap, jack him up 50% on the install would ya?"

"Sure thing Bob."

:lol:
Nah...I just asked what could they do - if anything. While I was there they made one call to their Hummingbird dealer and the dealer dropped the price. Had it there next day. They all made money - 2 days later BPS dropped it another $50 or so. Come to think of it I used a gift certificate from a pf.com tourney.

TA's good folks.

Anyway, back to the thread...I do the above for many things. I simply ask a question...up to them on what they could do. Not match, but do better. Course I lived in third world countries for about 17 years - it amazes me how in America we just say - "Well I guess that's the price. Here you go." The concept of bartering/negotiating is not in the culture.
JB
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

jbdba01 wrote:TA's good folks.
Just went there yesterday for the first time. Good selection, nice staff. I will be back.
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Talked to my local dealer and gave them the price ACK quoted me. I sent the dealer the email confirmation I received from ACK with their price quote for the Revo 13. The dealer told me he would do everything he could to match ACK price. 15 minutes later I received a call from the dealer stating that they would match the price that ACK quoted me including tax and including the Turbo Fins plus 10% off of accesories.

They have gained a customer for life.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Win!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley