Fort Desoto

Flamingo to Big Bend
gggeorge

Fort Desoto

Post by gggeorge »

I am going to Fort Desoto at the end of the week and I am looking for any information on the area. I have heard that reds and trout are in the bay and that the radio tower may be a good spot. What type of baits should I use? I do not get to fish the ocean much being from Cincinnati and would really like to make the most of the trip. Any help would be great.
Thank you,
Glenn
Skeeter

Re: Fort Desoto

Post by Skeeter »

Where to fish would depend on if you plan to use a boat, kayak, or wade.
As to bait, live or frozen shrimp and any of the bait shops. Green backs in Bunces Pass with cast net or Sabiki rig. Sand fleas along the surf with a shovel, dollar crabs under the bridges on the out going with a dip net.
Artificial- Exude on 1/8 oz jigs, Johnson spoons, Zara Spook, or Mirrodine for trout and reds in the flats.
Tarpon in Egmont channel and under the Skyway bridge. Mackerel where ever you see birds.
Strong outgoing tide Friday 12 to 7:30, best fishing time is 1 to 3 PM.
Good luck.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
gggeorge

Post by gggeorge »

Thank you very much for the information. I will be in a kayak and I would also like to say that Ty from 30 miles out was the one who told me to ask here. He said that if anyone would know the area that you guys would.
Thank you,
Glenn
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Glenn,
I would suggest putting in on the West side of the causeway just before you get to the last bridge before the park and boat ramp. Head toward the gulf and try the deeper holes in the grass flats and around the islands.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.