OK Trident 15 Help

MLB01

OK Trident 15 Help

Post by MLB01 »

Considering purchasing closeout Trident 15, only thing that was a negative for me was the molded foot rest. Sat in to test out and took some time trying to get comfortable, took away from the foot space available. I know the trident 13 has adjustable foot pads. Seems like these molded foot wells would interfere with adding a rudder as far as clearance between rudder foot pads and molded foot wells. Any one own a Trident 15 and can comment on this? May consider the tarpon 140 or Trident 13.

Should this be a deal breaker? $899.00 for the Trident 15 seems like a good deal.

Thanks
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: OK Trident 15 Help

Post by DaveR »

Can ya stand in it? For a thousand bucks once you put a rudder on it you should be able to stand in it.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

DaveR wrote:Can ya stand in it? For a thousand bucks once you put a rudder on it you should be able to stand in it.

Would be tricky, limited foot space due to molded foot wells.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Many years ago I had an ocean kayak with those molded in foot wells. I hated them, would be a deal breaker for me.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

I think there is a used Native Ultimate 14.5 for sale in the classified section for $900. So much more comfortable that it's hard to even compare and it is a very stand able kayak.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Rik wrote:I think there is a used Native Ultimate 14.5 for sale in the classified section for $900. So much more comfortable that it's hard to even compare and it is a very stand able kayak.

Opinions on the Native Manta Ray 14?
Walt_Trident13

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

I own an OK Trident 13 with the adjustable foot pegs. It's a great boat. Inshore and Offshore, this thing will do it all. Super stable and fast. With some practice you can stand and fish (in calm water). I do not have a rudder and don't plan on installing one....I did pick up a Native Slayer Propel..so the Trident is now used for guests and friends. It's just to good of a boat to let go.
http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rik

Post by Rik »

MLB01 wrote:Opinions on the Native Manta Ray 14?
Have never paddled one so I have no opinion on that. Native is, though, a solid performer as a kayak company so you can expect it will be well built.

At this point in my long and not quite illustrious paddling experience, I wouldn't even consider a kayak I couldn't stand in.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
FishingSarasota

Post by FishingSarasota »

I have a OK Prowler 15t, that I picked up used. Good first boat, its great in the rough stuff, but isn't really standable. The length makes it get blown around ALOT so a rudder would be a nice addition. The only reason I haven't added one is due to the foot molds. They are ok, but I would imagine that the rudder controls could be awkward.

Another thing to consider is the seat which is molded in. With all the boats on the market with a nice comfy seat (native, jackson, etc), I would be hard pressed to get another with that design. At about the 4-5 hour mark, its time to get out.