Red Tide Status Update (August 27, 2014) - NOT GOOD

Rik

Red Tide Status Update (August 27, 2014) - NOT GOOD

Post by Rik »

A large offshore bloom of Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism, has been detected this month in the northeast Gulf of Mexico. Satellite images from the Optical Oceanography Laboratory at the University of South Florida show the bloom is located approximately 10-15 miles offshore between Dixie and Pasco counties and 5-10 miles offshore of northern Pinellas County in northwest and southwest Florida. FWC’s Fish Kill Hotline has received numerous reports of a widespread fish kill and respiratory irritation has been reported in the red tide area. Forecasts by the Collaboration for Prediction of Red Tides show surface water movement proceeding slightly south for the next several days. No bloom concentrations of red tide have been detected alongshore or inshore of any of the areas sampled. A full status report will be provided this Friday, August 29, 2014.

http://myfwc.com/research/redtide/statewide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: Red Tide Status Update (August 27, 2014) - NOT GOOD

Post by sfurman »

:evil: not good at all.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
dunfly

Re: Red Tide Status Update (August 27, 2014) - NOT GOOD

Post by dunfly »

There was a major fish kill that washed ashore on the north end of Honeymoon Island Saturday. I didn't notice the physical signs of red tide, i.e. scratchy throat and coughing, but there were tons of dead baitfish on the beach and a few big trout.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?