Rusting tailgates

Rik

Rusting tailgates

Post by Rik »

A common blight for most pickups hauling kayaks in the bed is a rusting out tailgate. Water, specifically salt water, gets in those drain holes and it starts. I just put on my third tailgate and wished I'd read this info before putting on my second - which lasted about 3 years. Cheap Chinese crap but that's another story.

I read this thread: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showth ... ?p=2369170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There's good info on prepping a new tailgate and preventative along the way. I also talked with several auto restoration guys.

I chose the Eastwood frame rail product in a spray can for the inside of my new one. It's a good preventative but is also an encapsulating spray to stop existing rust. The tube with conical nozzle on the end makes sure it goes everywhere. If you can see rust inside your tailgate but it hasn't poked through yet, this may be a good thing to give your tailgate some more life

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame- ... le-qt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have plenty of rags around and liberally tape where you don't want it to go. It will find small openings in seams and seep out of them. I emptied two cans in my new tailgate but will also do the Corrosion X fogging from time to time. I don't want to buy another tailgate!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Re: Rusting tailgates

Post by shamus »

A little late for the Dodge.
I am looking for a good auto body guy Camille's car needs a paint job. Can anyone recommend one?
0 0 1
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Good luck, on stopping the rust that is. :)
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Clean 'em with Coca-Cola
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.