The great cold front of April 15'

Flamingo to Big Bend
CoonHound53

The great cold front of April 15'

Post by CoonHound53 »

Had one of the best Snookin nights I have had in a while on the eve of the season's end. Typical start, launched at 6:30(ish) - It was rough as hell!! The wind was whipping and the seas were at least 2'-3', the tide was at it's lowest point, and it was very low. I started off wading in what was normally considered "deep flats", but I was about waist deep. Not a single bite, was using a combination of top waters and suspended twitch baits. My buddy was throwing the same but he had a silver spoon as well. As the sun set, we pretty much thought this night was going to be a bust. So we ducked in behind some mangroves to dry off and shield ourselves from wind while we prepared for the green lights - The "cold front" came in that day, and it was freaking cold - I felt like I was ice fishing (we are true crackers, the furthest north either of us has been is I-4). Image A few beers later and new leader tied; the sun had set and the green began to shine; and my phone started to vibrate like crazy - Buc Nation just drafted ole Crab Legs. Nick and I make our way to the first light, as we approach we could see about 5 laid up, 2 were monsters. The tide had already turned and it was clear which way these line sliders were facing, so we situated our kayaks so we could present the bait the best. Nick had first cast, and SLAMMMM!!!!! One of those monsters that I mentioned before, "well he took the bait".... I quickly reel up my line and try to get over to Nick with the net, we practice "team" snookin when we realize that the fish is over 30" or so, we do not want this to break off. But I was too late, he spit that MirrOdine out, and the line was so tight that it snapped back towards Nick and hooked him in the leg (I had a laugh with that one), not only did he miss our dinner and spook the hole, but he had a treble hook stuck in his knee cap. We carry on to the next set of lights, here is where I pulled out a 26" Image

We went from dock light to dock light catching snook at will - I think the smallest one we caught was about 20" and the largest we landed was 26"... Image

Towards the end of the trip, Nick wanted to go back to "the one that got away" - On first cast at this light, Nick hooked up again! Rippin that snook right back to his boat, he pulled out his lawstick only to find out this was not the one. He was only 24" Image

Overall between the two of us we caught 12 snook, no keepers. :cry: But was not a bad night on the water. I guess I will have to wait till later on to get my Snook Tacos...
Listen to the Peppers! Riches will follow.