How big is your reel

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

This is an interesting thread...confirms what I've heard about Stradics the past year or so. I am confused though as to why almost everyone that has posted here is using spinning tackle? Conventional reels offer MUCH better line control, better drag systems (in general), improved accuracy/subtle landings on the cast, and for the price you pay for a Stradic, you can get a bait-caster that will hold up to many, many years in the salt. Just curious?
captjake

Post by captjake »

You are right.

My favorite setup is a Calcutta 250 matched to a 7' St. Croix. I love that setup and can cast it all day long without fatigue...it can handle some tough fish too. Mostly like pluggin the mangroves with it...JAKE

I have 2 of the 400 Calcuttas, but like the 250 better. Have 2 of the 700 Calcuttas for tarpon.... 8)

I also have a Penn International 965 that is a REALLY TOUGH reel. Same price as the comparible Calcutta, but a much 'tougher' reel. It is a smooth reel, but the drag seems beefier than the Calcuttas.

I wish the Spheros would come out with a 2000 series reel...JAKE
May you all hear the 'rattle' of the mighty poon
o
o
o<'(()))><
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Your decision on reel size should be made on line capacity desired. What type of line and how many yards of it you need. If you use the rod to fight the fish and not the reel almost any size decent reel will work for any size fish. If you use 30 lb mono you will need a bigger reel. If you think you need 300 yards of line you need a big reel. Unless you are Tarpon fishing, how many fish have you caught that pull even 100 yards of line against the drag? I use 20lb power pro and I use Okuma 20's and some old Stradic 2000's for mos my fishing. I do use a couple 4000's and a Okuma 30 occasionally. 95percent is done with the smaller reels.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Coventional reels are fine. I have a Calcutta but....They Don't sound COOL!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

FishingDL wrote:If you use the rod to fight the fish and not the reel almost any size decent reel will work for any size fish.
I agree completly except in those cases where you really have to control the fish fast. Next to mangroves and dock pilings are a good example. Yes, you can grab the spool but you lose a lot of control in a hard fighting situation. Its real easy to over grab the spool then.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Gator

Post by Gator »

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I am getting another rod/reel combo this weekend and planned on buying another of what I already have (2500 Stradic on a 7' Falcon). I'm now contemplating weather I should buy another stradic after all I have heard about their life span (had mine for a couple months), or get a Spheros instead maybe a 4000 this time. I thought about matching this with another Falcon maybe a 7'6" or Redbone. Any opinions on a rod for a 4000 series? Falcon, Redbone, St. Croix, G-Loomis?
"We are the people our parents warned us about."-Jimmy Buffett
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

nothing bigger than 3000 series here.
as long as it'll hold a lil more than 100 yds powerpro, that's all ya need on the flats. if you're targeting bigger fish (tarpon, cobia, ect) then ya would want something bigger. but for the big 3, ya don't need anything bigger.

and the only reason i would use a 3000 is because that particular reel doesn't come in 2500.

new purchases will deffinately be the capricorn 2500. i have a 2000 now and have used the 2500. will i ever use a shimano again? only if it says sustain on the side and i better get a better deal than i have with the caps.
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

If you're going Daiwa, spend the extra $15 and get the Advantage instead. It's worth it.

the Capricorns are great, the Advantage is even nicer.
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Rik made a good point. That is why I said I use the smaller reel 95 percent of the time. I do try to use the 4000 near structure but almost all my fishing is on the open flat.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

I'll step up to the bat for Okuma. The Epixors 20's I have had held up great so far with no corrosion. Stacy's had held up for almost a year without a hitch. With proper care, any reel will hold up very well (except for the Shimano 2500's I hear. The old model can't be beat. Line capacity is realy a non-issue just like DaveR stated.
Even with big fish like Tarpon, the kayak will beat the boat all the time. (See post about black tip shark :wink: )

The Daiwa Capricorn is a sure bet too, but like Jay said go with the Advantage and if you are a real high roller, Daiwa has a new model on the market that I saw at Dave's Parts and Service a few weeks ago that would make a Stella look like a snoopy rig.

As far as rods? You know me- Just Falcon Medium and light popper action spinning Coastals in 7' and 7.5'.

DD
captjake

Post by captjake »

GATOR....

Go with the NOLES special. Had the chance to try one of PI's that Noles made and I may never even buy another St. Croix....JAKE :wink: 8)
May you all hear the 'rattle' of the mighty poon
o
o
o<'(()))><
SnookKatcher

Post by SnookKatcher »

I'd second ( or third...) the recommendation on the Daiwa Team Advantage reels. I have a 2500-size, and it's an awesome reel. I mainly use Older Shimano's on the flats/open...I have two Stradic 2000's and a Stradic 4000, and a Symmetre 4000, and they are great reels. The newer 2500's??? I'll pass. I'm not sure if they screwed-up the newer 4000's too. I got the deal of a lifetime and got a Stella 4000 at half price, and it's a dream reel. Are they worth the full ante?? I wouldn't pay it. ( It ain't a Snoopy-reel by a long shot though, Dave! I shudder to think what the price tag says on that new Daiwa!! :wink: )
The Shimano's aren't made for serious pulling...I have a bunch of OLD Penn SS-series that are silk-smooth and build like a tank for that stuff. The Daiwa Advantage's are a lot closer to the old Penn's as far as tough-built, and every bit as smooth as a brand-new Stradic.
I've caught 36" Reds on the Shimano 2000's, from a fixed-position ( land )and never got close to getting spooled. A BIG Snook or Cobia in the open may be a different matter. With a 20'ft. piece of mono on the bottom to anchor the line, I have 285 yds. of 20 lb. Power Pro loaded on the Advantage 2500. A Shimano 2000 holds exactly 150 yds. of 20 lb. PP. Lee.
"... this river don't go to Aintry..."
Sky Camo O.K. Drifter
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Mannn, I love this web-site! :) It's great to read so many different opinions and experiences. What a resource this site is.

I bought my Stradics mainly because my father in law has been using a pair for several years without any problems. So far, I haven't had any problems either(1 yr old). We'll see if that changes, especially after my wife accidentally dunked one of them during the OLC, this past Sat. I also have interest in the Spheros, but I may have to look into some of these other brands that all of you have mentioned. Thanks for all the input.
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
Keith

Post by Keith »

I have 2 older Stadic 2000s, newer 2500 and a Spheros 4000. I definetely prefer the 2500 because it is much easier to maintain, can take a beating, and I can cast all day with it. The 2000s require much more effort to maintain peak performance . I had my 2500 for 2 years and it feels as smooth as when I first bought it. The spheros is good reel for the money it has a lot of the good qualities the Stradics have but the drag system is not as smooth. I used to have a couple of Penns (SS Spinning) they lasted 2 years till the salt finally got to them. I don't like spending lots money on reels but sometimes you get what you pay for. I learned this the hard way when I lost a nice Snook when my Abu Garcia (Cardinal 500) broke in 2 pieces while trying to land it.

My next reel I buy would probably be a Stradic 2500 or a Quantum Energy.
Think like a fish!
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

They aren't glamorous, but the Penn SS series are still very good reels. They can take a real beating over the course of years, and parts are easy to get. The spool shape isn't the greatest compared to some newer reels, but you can't have everything.

I like the look of the Penn Slammer spinning reels, picking one up this weekend.

I've stayed away from the Diawas and Shimanos, primarily because I don't want to buy a reel that I'll need to replace in 2-3 years.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I use the OLD Stradics, and have been looking for something to replace that in my line up since I am not overly impressed with the NEW ones. I like my 1000 Stradic the best, then my 2000, then the 4000. And yes I have caught plenty of big fish on the 1000. All those big snook from Honeymoon this past summer were on the 2000. I only use the 4000 for the topwater lures I use on my 7'6" rod. Seems to be a better setup than using the 2000.

Now for the Quantum...Mark is the only one who has gotten all of his stuff. The 40 series CaboPT has been on backorder due to the growing popularity of the reel. Should be getting it soon. Saw Marks, all I can say is I cant wait to get mine. I have been looking for something to replace the OLD Stradics. I passed on Okuma because I dont like the feel of the reel in my hand (part due to the handle being SO small) but it just didnt feel right. But good reels. I have held the Boca from Quantum and it felt great. Very smooth, the Cabo is a step up.

Everyone seems to change a good thing.....
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing