Fishing Logs

How many of you keep Fishing Logs?

Hell yes, I'd be lost without it
37%
No and what the hell is a fishing log anyway?
63%

Total votes: 38

Fishing Logs

Post by Guest »

Here's a new topic worth discussion: how many of us keep fishing logs? If you vote yes, be sure to add what information is important to you while making all of those notes.
rev

Post by rev »

I have for 2 years. Tide (both strength & time), weather, fish, times fish were caught, and of course the company. When fishing with disreputables such as PI, I count all the fish he catches as my own, as I am undoubtedly far more deserving.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I just started keeping one earlier this year, so I think in the future with more data it will be useful. It is the freeware for the Palm, that I heard about from those on this website who use it. Once the year is over I am going to post all my results for the year. And do that each year, so that others can maybe use that information. Fairly generic other than my notes, but I like keeping the data.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I started a log five years ago...it has turned into an invaluable resource. Last time I checked, I had detailed descriptions of ~750 separate trips in both salt and fresh water. I keep track of what was caught, the tides, lures used, locations fished, and any other pertinent information that could be of use in the future. I find myself going back in my log continuously.

I actually wrote a very functional fishing-log program for a major project, but I still keep my log in an Excel spreadsheet. I may switch the data over at some point.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Log entry :
Water was wet, slung bait , caught catfish . Went home
paddlefish

Post by paddlefish »

I do have one, but don't write in it nearly as often as I should. When I do though, I also keep track of when I don't do well. I think that some kind of computer model would be best if it could take all the data and then feed back good/bad spots based on a few key words. Kind of like.........

fast incomming, water temp 71, wind sse5-10

good....../ bad
location 1 location 1
location 2 location 2
location 3

does a program like this already exist?
Thank you, gentlemen. Someday I will repay you, unless of course I can't find you, or if I forget.
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Ehh...I'm too lazy to keep a log. :P
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
bluz-fisher

Logs

Post by bluz-fisher »

I kept one religiously for many years, very detailed, but when "Husband" also became "Daddy" and then Mom got ill, I don't waste the time anymore. If I can sneak away to fish now & then, I quickly jump on it anytime I can. If I had the free time I used to, I'd still keep one...I love reading my old notes. It's a great idea.

James
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I hate paperwork. :P
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Keith

Post by Keith »

Until about 6 months ago I had a really detailed journal that covered 2 years of fishing in the Bay Area. I had it saved in my work PC and never backed it up. The PC crashed and I lost everything and was really bummed out for a while. I haven't started another one but I probably should.
Think like a fish!
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

every time, water conditions, weather conditions, tackle used, baits used, results etc.

basically i log everything in a book.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I kept one for a while but it got to be too embarrassing.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I used too, but "paddled around a bit, got skunked" makes for a boring read later.

*Edit - And besides, my memory usually provides of much better picture of my fishing trips that a reality based journal :)
Last edited by JohnS on Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
TroutTracker

Post by TroutTracker »

I do keep a log but not as religiously as I should.

When I do, weather, tides, date, and lures/bait.
Yeller Scupper Pro

John
CrackerYak
Location: SOTE-Bradenton, Fl (Formerly Myakkakayak, Moved to Town)

Post by CrackerYak »

I have been fishing for 42 years and have yet to catch a fish, so maybe I need to start a log to figure out what I am doing wrong.... 8)
(Formerly MyakkaKayak, Moved to Town)
Scotty
"I have never caught a fish my entire life"
Tarpon 140 Blue - Mine
Tarpon 120 Slate - Wifes
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Yes I keep one and no you can't have it. :shock:

My entries include where I was fishing, what I was using, what I caught and on what tides.

Over 8 years of keeping the thing, I may have to make it into a database. The summer months are empty because I'm not here so if I'm ever around during the summer I'll be back to a guessing game, whereas Sept thru March I just look back at my old notes and find out how I did previous years.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"