Pick a New Kayak

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Pick a New Kayak

Post by mikeB »

My brother will be getting a kayak soon as a birthday present. Sis-in-Law has asked for advice and although I have a Heritage Fisherman which I like just fine, I think if I were to buy a new boat today it would be the WS-T-140. And the reason being the ability to stand and fish. No way can I stand up in the Heritage. Although the WS is only 2 in. wider it has a flatter bottom. So if you had a chance for any locally available boat in the $1,000 range what would it be.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

If one of the things you want out of a kayak is to stand up you should also look at the Malibu line. I stand in mine all of the time with no problems.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

OK Drifter is wide & stable for standing.
This subject has been covered in a past topic about a week ago. Not sure what the title was.
TB
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I would wait a month or two and see the new t160 with the tankwell.

Rumours are it is very sweet and may have the 140 flat floor too.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Standing in my yak (Hobie Outback) with RAM mounted outriggers is a joy. I have a nice flat hatch lid right in front of the seat and the outriggers make it real stable. But that's only the half of it. How good is your sense of balance? Also, will you use a pole or your paddle to propel the yak. I use a combination of the paddle and a Stake-Out-Pole but am thinking of making a sectional push pole like some of the older boys have done with their Outbacks.

A pedal powered Outback isn't for everyone. Especially serious yakers who will critize the Outback's paddling characteristics and need for 18" for the drive wings. However, I'd consider myself a serious fisherman just using a yak so I love the hands free, stability and ease of travel using my lower body.

I would assume the RAM mounted outriggers are added on other yaks also. You might consider that approach.
Bald Eagle
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Look at the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
Last edited by FishingDL on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
atljoe

Post by atljoe »

Don't do it often but I have stood in my outback on the occasion it was called for; no outriggers. There are times to stand but for the most part I would not make that a key factor in choosing a yak. I also have a Tri-Balance and you can for sure stand in it (can fall out but never tip it over). I rarely found a need to stand in it. If you are a dedicated fly angler it will be easier to stand. I know it may help to provide a better view but you have to remember that when you stand the fish can also see you from further away.

Still nothing I would swap for my hobie (except a new hobie) but they are a little more than the $1000 range.

I would look for something that tracks and glides well. You are always likely to have some wind and even though yaks are less a target than a canoe making that paddle in after a long day or even deciding to paddle an extra mile to get to the better hole is more acceptable in a yak that reduces the effort involved.
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishin' is flat out fun!
http://flatsfisher.com
Information for shallow water anglers.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Prowler 13. My favorite boat to date. Ask me about standing 25 lbs. from now. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
captjake

Post by captjake »

Don't forget about the Prowler 15'4"...I love mine.

Not sure about standing in it though. Have not tried, but do not feel the need to do so.

If they are wanting to stand, look at the 140 or ask Erik and Toddle about their Malibu yaks...heard they are VERY stable.

The Prowlers are stable and VERY fast, but not sue about standing in their footwells :shock:
May you all hear the 'rattle' of the mighty poon
o
o
o<'(()))><
AlbertoOceanKayakRep

Prowler

Post by AlbertoOceanKayakRep »

To stand on the Prowlers you do so on the seat well, which is were the center of gravity is. I don't do it on the regular basis but I know people who do it all the time. If I wanted to stand on the regular basis I will instal outrigers on my yak.
GatorTroutBoy

Post by GatorTroutBoy »

I am also in the market to buy a new yak myself. Yup, that’s right. Mike is going to try to make a complete break from the “Grey Sideâ€
~Mike~ aka GTB
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

IMHO....T140...watch out for orange though... :lol:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Troy

new yak

Post by Troy »

do yourself a favor and check out the malibu X-FACTOR. 14'4" long and 33" wide. great for standing. go to chuck at the oldsmar flea market. no over head and great prices. he also sells heritage and the red fish.
Ray H

Post by Ray H »

My choice would be the Tarpon 140. Although it's not as stable as the Rides I used to own, I do stand and pole in my 140 pretty easily. As you've probably heard before, don't just listen to what you hear - try before you buy.
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I have been in a few different brands of kayaks and I have found the Malibu to be the most stable. Right now I have the eXtreme and even I can stand in it, without any problems. I have heard the X-Factor is even more stable....which is hard to believe, but I will find out soon enough.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
AlbertoOceanKayakRep

kayaks at the flea market?

Post by AlbertoOceanKayakRep »

Hey Spit the Hook,

Are you positive there is somebody selling kayaks at the flea market?
Can somebody confirm this?

Thanks in advance,

Alberto