Pick a New Kayak

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Actually there is a guy selling kayaks at the Flea Market. I drive by there on my way to UTB to fish. I always thought they were just cheap/low cost non-branded boats.....based on his sign. But, he actually sells Malibu, Emotion and Heritage, possibly others, or so I have been told. I was also told he has a shop over in Dunedin, I cant remember the name of it. The flea market is just an extension of his actual location.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Gotta throw a word out about the Fisherman, definitely a great boat to stand in. Also, if you're not ready to buy just yet, hang loose for a look at the Mojo Angler. This is an artists rendering, can't wait to post some real pics soon ...

It won't be out for a few more weeks, but it's stability (and standability) is based on the Fisherman ... should be a monster ... :)
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

Is that a hatch in the footwell Jerry?
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

Let's see, I recommend the WS Tarpon also. Of course, JOhn and I are sponsored by WS.

Pag_yakker recommends the Emotion...hmmmmm.

Alberto, DL, and DaveR recommend the Prowler....I see a trend developing.

Erick likes the Malibu....yes there is a pattern.

Bottom line, these are all good boats. Listen to these guys. There are reasons for liking each one of the ones they recommend. You've just got to try them for yourself.
Last edited by JayB on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Boats aside, remember the choice of color is VERY important, as we all know, yellow is the slowest.

fuzz
CrackerYak
Location: SOTE-Bradenton, Fl (Formerly Myakkakayak, Moved to Town)

Post by CrackerYak »

Yep, the guy at oldsmar fm sells emotion heritage and malibu...Does not keep a bunch of stock but claims there is another shop with stock. Nice guy had boats reigged nice as well.. Sells some accesories at decent prices..If you in the area it is worth a look...He does advertise a $199.00 deal just to get the ordinary folks in...it is alittle pontoon like float boat...
(Formerly MyakkaKayak, Moved to Town)
Scotty
"I have never caught a fish my entire life"
Tarpon 140 Blue - Mine
Tarpon 120 Slate - Wifes
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Dirty Dave wrote:Is that a hatch in the footwell Jerry?
Sure looks that way, but it basically laid out like the Fisherman - only with a smaller rectangle hatch, a longer console, cup holder ...
Jerry White
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

JayB wrote:Let's see, I recommend the WS Tarpon also. Of course, JOhn and I are sponsored by WS.

Pag_yakker recommends the Emotion...hmmmmm.

Alberto, DL, and DaveR recommend the Prowler....I see a trend developing.

Erick likes the Malibu....yes there is a pattern.

Bottom line, these are all good boats. Listen to these guys. There are reasons for liking each one of the ones they recommend. You've just got to try them for yourself.
Absolutely - just as I tried numerous boats during the evolution of getting Mojo to market (still evolving too ...).

I (and others) also gleaned info, opinions, likes, dislikes, pictures, reviews, you name it from folks all across the country (a great deal from this forum). Can't please everyone, but the goal was to put the best of the best possible in an affordable package.

But, the customer definitely needs to paddle all of the contenders because if you don't you'll always wonder if you made the right decision.
Jerry White
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

I can't say that I have tried to stand in my Prowler 13 but I have seen Dirty Dave do it and he said it was stable for him. I am so pleased with my Prowler 13 that I decided to buy another one and it is scheduled to be delivered around the 23rd.
XCB
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Like JB says, try them all and decide which one you like. They are all good yaks. I am extremely happy with my Prowler 15 and that is why I recommend it. It is fast, tracks great, has a huge tankwell, a big front hatch, and the cockpit area is large and well laid out. Everyone else can tell you what is good about their boats. Out of all the yaks mentioned, decide which ones fit your needs and try them out. Good luck.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
thabigdawg

Malibu X-Factor

Post by thabigdawg »

Most people think their boat is best....that is because they bought the boat that works for them. I love my X-Factor, and would suggest you try one before you buy anything. I haven't stood in it yet, but it tracks well, is very stable, and I have seen Sean from Malibu stand in it and paddle around the test pool at FTU in Texas.

Proper rigging of the boat is also a key factor. Before I bought a boat, I borrowed a lot of them. I found that the ones I liked the best were the ones that were rigged properly. I thinkn we take for granted how much we lkike our yaks without thinking about all the extra STUFF we had to buy to get them where we like them. Spend a little less on the yak if you can, and rig it right for fishing (the anchor trolley system, anchor, anchor line, drift anchor, Scotty fly-rod holders, bungee tiedowns, cleats, seats, paddle, MILK CRATE..., etc.)

May sound basic, and I feel a little silly posting it (and for using the word silly) but the cost of those things should be factored in as well. It cost me an arm and a leg for all the extra stuff (and man is it hard to paddle with one arm and one leg....)
traveling East
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Very True BD, you summed it up perfectly.
Get the yak that "fits" and then rig how "you" want it.

Don't be in a hurry either, first thing to do is install your front rod holder, no matter which yak you paddle you want a rod holder upfront. Then take it out and paddle it a few times to feel comfortable where you are going to want stuff.

The Milk crate is a great option for when you start out with a new boat. You can carry tackle, and rods without any drilling, you may even like it so much, you don't add anything more than the crate.

Less is more when it comes to rigging your yak. :wink:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
danew20

Post by danew20 »

Where can you get outriggers, because standing in my scupper pro is pretty much out of the question....

Thanks
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

mauso1 wrote:IMHO....T140...watch out for orange though... :lol:
what is wrong with the orange, besides being able to see it a mile away ?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Outriggers

Buy them - http://www.canoegear.com/www/

Make them - http://kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_v ... rticles=31

If you're going to make them, search around that site, there is a lot of info and helpful advice.

Bouys available here: http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/2,459.html
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I ran across this place, sent them e-mail but didn't get a response. They may respoind better via phone ...

http://www.canoegear.com/www/
Jerry White