secret spots?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
Snukerfreak

Post by Snukerfreak »

Dustin wrote:Good fishermen only share their spots with a select few people (if that), and definitely not on an open forum.
Sir, I certainly feel sorry for you, or for anyone else with this attitude. I believe a more appropriate term you could have used to describe a "fisherman" with this attitude would have been "greedy" or "selfish".

A GOOD fisherman is able to catch fish no matter where they are fishing, no matter what the fishing is like that day, and no matter how much fishing pressure they are facing. Adversity is what makes you become better at fishing.

Sharing information about fishing spots or techniques does not make you a BAD fisherman, it makes you a GOOD person. Every single person who reads this forum can trace back their experience and knowledge of fishing to one or two people who got them started. No one is born with a rod in their hand and knowledge of a secret spot to fish that no one else knows. We all have learned from each other, and developed our knowledge and skills from what others have taught us.

Let's remember folks, out of the 48 continental states in the US, Florida has over 1/3 of the total coastline. In every one of those thousands of miles of coastline there are fish. Please rest assured that no matter who you are and no matter how great you think "your" secret spot is, there are thousands of other areas for people to fish. "Your secret spot" is not in jeopardy just because other people know about it.

As for this forum, most of the people who submit informative posts are from the Tampa Bay area. The destinations page is full of information that has allowed me to find several good locations to fish when I decide to make the trip to the Tampa area. I feel that is only right that I try to reciprocate that sharing of knowledge if I know of a great paddle-fishing destination that others on this forum might be interested in. I have fished in dozens of places from St. Marks/Appilachicola to Port of the Isle in Naples on the Gulf Coast and from Little Talbot Island to Mosquito Lagoon on the Atlantic Side. One post about one of those spots may help others to enjoy that location, but will certainly not impede my ability to find a place to catch fish in this state.

My first post stating that I would be fishing in Tampa and asking if others would be too resulted in meeting with five other gentlemen who were more than willing to show my fishing partner and I around the Ft. Desoto area.

If you think that is wrong, then again, I feel sorry for you. For me, and I hope others, that is what fishing, and life, is all about.

I appologize, and wouldn't have singled you out, Dustin, but this is the second time that I have seen you respond negatively to either one of my or my friend's posts. I hope that you soon learn that we are all guests when we paddle in Florida's waters. No one of us owns any particular piece of water. Sharing fishing knowledge, destinations, and experiences with others will ultimately make you a better fisherman, and a better person.

Dave B
"I didn't think there were any 'water police' out here during the week!", anonymous slow speed zone violator.
Reply: "Sorry to disappoint you. Sign here please."
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

A lot of people on here seem to be worried about secret spots and finding out where they are. We ALL know there are NO truly secret spots but I have to agree with DaveR, Rik and others. I do not divulge any "secret" spots anymore because if you tell ONE person where one is the next thing you know they're up here INVITING ANYONE who wants to join them to go to the spot you so unselfishly shared with them. I learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut and my fingers still when it comes to places that I spent years studying and visiting to find.

I actually would prefer that someone TEACH me what to look for so I can find my OWN secret spots rather than just telling me where and when to go to a particular spot. It's much more satisfying for me to find fish by myself!!

I'm beginning to think that for a LOT of people it's ONLY about CATCHING and not about the education or thrill of doing it YOURSELF. If more people would educate themselves on the environment, learn to just enjoy their surroundings and not always make it about CATCHING... we'd have a lot better quality fisherpeople out there.

So I'm going to use one of my favorite sayings and say instead of whining about people giving up their hard earned spots.... BUTCH UP and go find your own!!!!!
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
Rik

Post by Rik »

CatchNRelease wrote:My first post stating that I would be fishing in Tampa and asking if others would be too resulted in meeting with five other gentlemen who were more than willing to show my fishing partner and I around the Ft. Desoto area.
Ft Desoto is a long way from being a 'secret spot'. Within Ft Desoto, there are numerous spots that are productive at certain times of the year, certain tides, certain weather. The locals you went out with shared their info with you while on the water. However, I would guess that they would not be real thrilled if you posted "the little cove, after the 3rd island, on the west side, where the white sock is hanging from the mangrove" on a forum.

The real secret is learning how to find productive spots. Even the most closed mouth around are willing to share that type of info.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Dave and Rik have given my opinion. I will give advice about what to use, how and when to use it, and what to look for in an area for certain types of fish. I will no longer give exact spots though. I have done this in the past to my favorite spots and now those spots are not near as productive as they once were. It takes time on the water to learn where and when to fish and some people fish a place till the fish avoid it. I have a few people that I will give my tactics and places to but they in turn teach me a few spots. I am not being unfriendly, I just don't want my spots ruined any more. I like the people I have met on this board and I will as I said give any advice (for what little it is worth) I can to help someone catch fish but exact spots are not something I will give anymore.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

If any of you see me in your Secret Spot I did not get it on this board just lucky I guess. I just bought a Tarpon 130T about 3 weeks ago and so far i've amortized one trout for about $1K.

If ya see a camo 130T on top of a white beater Toyo Tercel be sure to wave and take comfort knowing I ain't kept a fish in about 10 years. (Cept one Bass but it was after a Hurricane induced month long power outage and I was starving).

I have enjoyed lurking and am greatful to finally be able to post.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

An appropriate tale of the type of person that only fishes a spot someone else has spent the time finding:

HUMP was a family friend, him having fished with my Grand Father for years back before my time or even my Dad's time. I interviewed HUMP for an article that I wrote for the now defunct Texas Fisherman magazine. While we were discussing things, Earl, or HUMP mentioned "potlickers". I asked him what that was and he said, "Boy, ain't you ever seen a big old lazy dog who couldn't compete with the other dogs, so he let them finish eating and then crawled up to the pot and licked it clean?" I said I had seen that and he replied, "A potlicker in fishing is a man who is too lazy to go find fish on his own, so he looks for someone who is already on fish and then he moves into that man's spot. He potlicks, he's a lazy bastard who depends on what others find or leave him."
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

There are two types of fishermen. The first has secret fishing destinations that he/she protects and only shares with close personal friends. The second covets others secret destinations and often has much company when they fish.

Which are you?

Main Entry: 1se·cret
Pronunciation: 'sE-kr&t
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin secretus, from past participle of secernere to separate, distinguish, from se- apart + cernere to sift -- more at SECEDE, CERTAIN
1 a : kept from knowledge or view : HIDDEN b : marked by the habit of discretion : CLOSEMOUTHED c : working with hidden aims or methods : UNDERCOVER <a secret agent> d : not acknowledged : UNAVOWED <a secret bride> e : conducted in secret <a secret trial>
2 : remote from human frequentation or notice : SECLUDED
3 : revealed only to the initiated : ESOTERIC
4 : constructed so as to elude observation or detection <a secret panel>
5 : containing information whose unauthorized disclosure could endanger national security -- compare CONFIDENTIAL, TOP
XCB
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Dustin wrote:
loukiii wrote:It might be fun to apply a little misdirection and see who ends up in the "Secret Spot"
That's one of my favorites, or better yet, mention a creek or bay by name that doesn't exist :D. Have people scouring the map for hours...
Never listen to anything Dustin says, and absolutely never take his advice, he will not give you true and accurate information, which will not help you win first place redfish in tournament waters which you are not familiar with. Also, he will not offer this advice as candidly as possible, and he would definately not offer said info on an unsolicited basis.

Thanks again for the "mis-direction" bro.

-Jon
- Jon
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Hey Ric,

Thanks alot for blabbing to everyone on the internet about White Sock Cove.:evil:

To retaliate let me just say that there has been a major run of 20+ lb. Peacock Bass at COW CREEK. It may be a bit crowded next time you're there...
Please, call me Kate
shallow minded II

Post by shallow minded II »

Don't get too bluegill close to me.
I always catch more & larger fish when I fish by myself. Stealth is the key.
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

Okay! I read all this thread twice and feel ready for my 2 cents worth! I am guilty as sin for posting areas I have fished and been moderately successful. You can say what you want about that but my feelings are that given the right conditions which some of you are very very good at keeping track of and duplicating over and over again it has to be that knowledge that allows you to return to a spot over and over again and it produce fish. You will not convince me that you can go to that spot the day after a severe front and catch fish or that in the heat of the summer you can catch fish in that area that is only 8 inches deep. You can't go to that spot at an extreme high tide when the fish are so far into the mangroves that you need a chain saw to get them. You can claim all the secret spot Bull Snot you want and you are welcome to them. If I never learn where your spot is I will die a happy camper. I fish with the skills I have learned (yes some from this site) in the spots when conditions can be duplicated with those skills and I catch enough fish to make me happy. "Take this secret spot and shove it I ain't fishin there no more" Set to the tune of Johnny Paychecks Take this job and shove it. Dan
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

I've read through this post....

I have been visiting this website for about a year....love the site. The Destination page is perfect. It gives you the tools to go out and fish.

I don't want to know someone secret spot. I like to research and develop my own spots and I guess I'm a bit arrogant because I naturally think that I can sniff out my own spots .

I don't expect to have anyone place a marker out at the "special spot",but getting pointed in the right direction is a bonus

But it is nice to read the fish tales that get posted on the site. Eventhough I don't really know too many people from the forum...it feels like I do because I read and enjoy the forum

I'm second generate St. Pete
My great grandfather and grandfather use to make cast net and we have always been a fishing family.

It is easy to complain about the area been overcrowded or overfished, but we all have the right to fish and if you want to talk about your favorite spots feel free or not

I think a lot of people already made good points.....but this is my two cents
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Wow - cat fight - cat fight :D

Time spent on the water is too precious to get involved with squables. As I've been around a while, I would rather introduce others to catching fish than catch them myself. If I took one of you out offshore fishing, you might be surprised that I prepare the baits, set the rods, and run the boat. When there is a hit, I don't pick up a rod until everyone else has made a catch. When duck hunting, I enjoy the calling and leave the bulk of the shooting to others. Try it sometime. When you feel that your skill has helped others get there, it is very satisfying.

The waters are very crowded which is problematic. Having someone move in to the area I am fishing in a greedy manner has a tendancy to cause me to remember those old words I try not to use. Having 20' boats running on a bog plane over the flats really refreshes my memory. Too many people are like the cartoon about sea gulls who scream "mine mine" when they desire something.

Sharing spots is a personal thing which is up to the individual. No one should condemn a person for doing that if that is his choice. If you condem others for doing a nice act, then I think you should rethink your outlook on life. If you chose not to share, then that is fine also. With short range craft like kayaks, spots close to a launch are too rare as it stands. Thoughtless boaters can ruin things for others in a hurry.

Truthfully, your flats are covered with honey holes that are there for the finding. Just drifting can be very productive and will sooner or later put you on fish. If you work quietly around others, you might find a friend who enjoys the company of another in that other boat and enjoy sharing time with people having the same interests. If he is like the sea gull, just move on and forget about it. It is his loss in life if he cannot be civil, as we should remember that dealing with others is like looking into a mirror. Be nice and the other person will most times be nice in return. Be a jerk and you will come to the conclusion that the world is filled with jerks. It is up to you. I prefer to socialize with nice folks myself and there are many of you on this site thank goodness.

Frank
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

Perhaps some might view some of the responses as arrogant or selfish or whatever word you choose. I personally feel that there are no secret destinations as has been clearly pointed out. I do feel that the "When" is much more important and I will keep that painstakingly cultivated information close to my vest.
XCB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I thank my lucky stars I know the way into Bill's vest :shock: Did I say that? :P
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

Hmmmm.... wonder if I could find my way around Bill's vest :twisted:
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.