Sarasota / Charlotte

Flamingo to Big Bend

Post by 0119 »

Is the permit thing only for lower lake, the one with the dam? Ive never been approached for not having a permit in the upper lake and between the two. I guess there are no put in points along the river in Carlton Reserve huh? Actually on the Myakka Scenic Trails map, they show a canoe launch where the river goes under "Border Rd." Its very close to the Reserves entrance. I dont know how to get there or if its north enough to be better than Snook Haven.
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

The Myaaka preserve is only south of SR 72. The park is all wide open north of the roadway. The canoe ramp on Border road has completely grown over and they have blocked the parking anyway. It used to be a great place to launch. It actually would only save us about a mile anyway. The only thing I worry about at Snook Haven is the parking. I'll check that out this weekend. We may have to launch and then park out on River Road. No big deal.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
KevinC

Post by KevinC »

Got south creek, curry creek and shackett creek in Venice too.

KevinC
[url=http://www.caseykeyanglersandoutfitters.com:30x4m49q]http://www.caseykeyanglersandoutfitters.com[/url:30x4m49q]
[b:30x4m49q]Venice, Florida- Your FlyFishing Needs.[/b:30x4m49q]
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

Kevin, South Creek is one of my favorites too. I love to go up early in the morning and smell all the camp stoves making breakfast. :D I then like to end up going under 41 and out into the bay area. There is some great fishing in the mangroves.

I have never done Curry Creek or Shackett Creek tho. If you want to go some Saturday morning and show me the way, I would love to join you.

Doug

Post by 0119 »

Silentrunning, did you find anything out about parking at Snook Haven? I found on the net, that they dont allow launching on biker days. Kinda stinks considering Snook Haven is actually owned by County Parks and Rec.'s. and thats prohibiting access!
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

There is a lot of parking there. Trust me, you wouldn't want to go there on biker day (Sunday). It is a great place to stay away from when all the bikes are there. Saturday is the day to go. There are several kayakers and conoers on the river on Saturday. Safety in numbers among the gators. The canoe / kayak launch site is somewhat primative, but will not be any problem. The gate opens at 8 am and there is no parking or launch fee at this time.

Doug

Post by 0119 »

Great lets pick a day!
KevinC

Post by KevinC »

Great thing about south creek is once you get under the 41 bridge it turns into no motor since it is part of the park, no gas motors. shackett holds big jacs in the 10lb range in the winter, big diving plugs or surface lures work. Love to join you guys but I have a boat instead of a yak.

KevinC
[url=http://www.caseykeyanglersandoutfitters.com:30x4m49q]http://www.caseykeyanglersandoutfitters.com[/url:30x4m49q]
[b:30x4m49q]Venice, Florida- Your FlyFishing Needs.[/b:30x4m49q]
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

KevinC wrote: Love to join you guys but I have a boat instead of a yak.

KevinC
Kevin,

If it's a day that I can go (the earlier the date is set the better) I'll bring an extra kayak rigged for fishing to include a rudder for you if you would like to go.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

How does January 13th, 7am at McDonalds on Jacaranda & I-75 sound to everybody? We can grab a bite and some coffee and be at Snook Haven when the gates open at 8.

Doug

Post by 0119 »

A.O.K. here, I'll be there.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I put it on my calendar and hope to be able to make it. Sounds like a great place to fish and paddle.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

Terry, We're leaving you in charge of the weather. :D
fishnfinatic

Post by fishnfinatic »

Silent, I was down in Venice last sat. when the wind was blowing like crazy. I did a little fishing from shore at Mannasota with my uncle and cousin we 6 snook not to big, but not to bad for being as windy it was last sat.
Tight Lines
Shawn
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

silentrunning wrote: How does January 13th, 7am at McDonalds on Jacaranda & I-75 sound to everybody?
This one is a possiblilty.

I've put in to be off for 5 days over Dr. King's BD weekend. It hasn't been approved yet and won't be until after the first of the year but I should get it off.

That would give me Fri - Tues off. *crossing fingers*
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

Good, I hope we get a bunch of people. I hope everyone can bring an FRS radio. If we split up and take different branchs of the river it will be fun to keep in touch.