New Rudder For The Old Boat

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
CooKnFish

New Rudder For The Old Boat

Post by CooKnFish »

I finally got a rudder for the P-13. What a pain in the arse it was to install! I've installed rudders before and it's not difficult on new boats but since I waited a couple of years before adding this one, I ran into some problems.

First, those plastic screws that they use to fill the holes of the molded-in nuts corroded in place. A few of them popped the heads off leaving the rest of the screw stuck in the nut. I tried drilling one out that holds the footrailing in place. It seemed to work so I tried it on one that holds the rudder bracket. As I was screwing the screw in, the nutwell broke in two. I had no choice but to drill it out completely and through bolt it in place.

Back to the footrails, the holes didn't line up. Maybe because I have a old style model of the P-13, some changes have been made since then. So, I had to through bolt the footrails and I didn't have to worry about drilling out another broken screw. Luckily, when I ordered the kit, I remembered to tell them I needed the old style bracket that holds the rudder assembly.

In the end, what normally would have taken an hour or 2 took about 6 but it is on and it works. There's only one screw that kinda doesn't match up but besides that, ya can't tell I ran into any trouble with the installation.

Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

I've been meaning to get on for my P-15. I'd like to find one at a good price.Less then what ocean kayak sells them.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Its not just what Ocean wants for them...
Across the board, the going rate for a rudder kit for your boat is going to be around $200. It may not have the same resell value as the boat itself but it was worth every penny to me when I installed it and put it in the water for the first time. I don't think I'll ever own a boat without one now.

~Mark~
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

Thanks for the info CooknFish. Ocean kayak wants $250 for a new one. I thought I saw on this forum somewhere where some place sells rudders that would fit and not cost as much and was suggested it was a better rudder. I'm not sure who it was talking about it. I'll keep lookging on the forum for it.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

That was prolly the thread about the aftermarket rudder for the Heritage yak. That rudder won't mount on the OK yak but here is the web site he got it from.
They have the same OK rudder kit that you saw for $250 marked at $200.

~Mark~
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Ooooohhhhh.... now I understand the post about the "Buick"! :lol:

~Mark~
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

I haven't figured out the thread about the buick yet. I did find online the yakima rudder that is supposed to be universal to many kayaks for less then $150.

http://topkayaker.net/TopKayakerShop/in ... 8560cece5d

I am wondering if it will mount up and work good on the ocean kayak prowlers?