Marc Petitjean tools

Wuluf

Marc Petitjean tools

Post by Wuluf »

Anyone use any of Petitjean's fly tying products? They seem pretty innovative. Is that the case, or are they a gimic?
Wuluf
Evan

Re: Marc Petitjean tools

Post by Evan »

There is no substitute for quality tools, especially scissors and ceramic bobbins. I don't own anything from Petitjean, but they do look nice.

The Magic Tool also looked pretty neat (hadn't seen that before). I use all kinds of odd materials in dubbing loops and that would make things significantly easier. Not quite ready to drop $40 on it, but it does look neat.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
cmatatty

Post by cmatatty »

I bought and used the Pettijean tools a lot when I lived and trout fished in Northern California, but rarely down here. One thing they're really good for is making "fuzzy" dubbing on nymphs and the like. There doesn't seem to be much use for that technique in saltwater flies, although I've seen a couple of patterns that do have some dubbing on them. Another reason I haven't used the tools much here in FL is the size. The tools I have will make great size 14 dubbing; that doesn't look too good on a size 1 hook. I don't know if Pettijean makes a larger size.

There are a couple of real good videos on how to use the stuff on the internet with Pettijean himself doing the work. I thought that I had them bookmarked, but, alas, not so. I'm sure they're findable on a google search.
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

I found those videos as well. Very interesting stuff. I got the whip finisher, and it works pretty well.
Wuluf