A day full of luck.....both kinds....

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rooster

A day full of luck.....both kinds....

Post by Rooster »

Okay, I paddled south at Gandy as everybody told me, fishing started out slow, one slot trout released. I moved to the opposite side of a little lagoon that I had seen another kayaker in. On the mangrove edge I seen a mullet jump, I made a cast with a johnsons weedless gold spoon, BLAMMO! I finally get it near the boat when I see the famous spot on the tail!!!! My first red!!!!! although it was small it put up a descent battle. I get it in the kayak snap a quick pic and released it and make a few more casts, and decide to call it a day. I paddled all the way in to realise, my truck keys are missing. On the way back out to search for my missing keys, I ran into the guy that was on the opposite side of the lagoon, it just so happened to be Gramps (nice meeting you) . I paddled all the way back out, and after a 20 minute search, by some miracle from the big man upstairs, I see my three "nifty cutters" box cutters that are attatched to my keys resting on the bottom, I jumped in and grabbed them.. I then paddled all the way back head on into wind, that wasnt there before...Despite all the hardships with the keys, and what not, catching my first redfish made it all worthwhile :lol:
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
FishingKid

Post by FishingKid »

nice job out there :) congrats on your first red rooster and your keys 8)
tbray

Post by tbray »

that was a killer report!! It made me think of the first time i had caught real fish! It is such a thrill not seeing a catfish meowing on the line! Great job-

and keep up the good work!
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

First Red... Finding lost keys in the water... They say good things come in three's. Go buy a lottery ticket!
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Sundancer wrote:First Red... Finding lost keys in the water... They say good things come in three's. Go buy a lottery ticket!
I may just go get one :wink:
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

tbray......you have caught a "real" fish? I must have missed that report.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: A day full of luck.....both kinds....

Post by Todd »

Rooster wrote:Okay, I paddled south at Gandy as everybody told me,
About time you listened. :wink:

Congrats on your first red.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

I'm glad you found your keys man! I thought for sure your truck would see a little saltwater. That lagoon held some big reds, we have to try it out there again sometime.
-Scott

And across from the bar there's a pile of beer cans
Been there twenty-seven years
Imagine all the heart aches and tears
In twenty-seven years of beer
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Sounds like someone needs to add a reliable dry bag to their gear. :idea:

I didn't used to take one but figured I was on borrowed time and would deep six my keys sometime soon if I didn't make "placement of the keys" (and cell phone) immediately in the dry bag.

Congrats on your catch. What a thrill!
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

Congrats on the catch!
LivelyBaits wrote:Sounds like someone needs to add a reliable dry bag to their gear. :idea:

I didn't used to take one but figured I was on borrowed time and would deep six my keys sometime soon if I didn't make "placement of the keys" (and cell phone) immediately in the dry bag.

Congrats on your catch. What a thrill!
That was one of the first things I bought after I bought my yak. Sea to Summit makes great ultra-sil nylon dry sacks. I keep some TP, sunscreen, and trail mix (in case I Gilligan it) in there as well as my wallet, keys, and cellphone. The 4 liter size is perfect and they are inexpensive. They clip nicely to the bungee of your kayak if you were to take a spill.
tbray

Post by tbray »

Erick wrote:tbray......you have caught a "real" fish? I must have missed that report.
lizard fish dont count???? shhhhheeeeiiiizzzzzz
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Gramps wrote:I'm glad you found your keys man! I thought for sure your truck would see a little saltwater. That lagoon held some big reds, we have to try it out there again sometime.
Definately will, just send a PM any time your up for it, im free during the week until about 2:30.
no time

Post by no time »

Good job on your first red. It will get easier as you spend more time on the water.
What can I do to help?
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

no time wrote:Good job on your first red. It will get easier as you spend more time on the water.
Yep, each time you build on what you already learned.

srsfsu,
Indeed that seat that has the zip pocket is good. I relied on a ziplock bag for extra peace of mind before I put it in that pocket.

Glad your keys were retrievable mr rooster
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

You were some lucky to find them,if I were you I would buy a drybag and anyting I didn't want to lose I would put in it and put it in the hatch.
I am too old to die young.
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

I'm more impressed that you went back out there and found your keys than you catching your first redfish.

There is a "learning curve" in becoming a good fisherman and luck also plays it role. You've proven you have the luck and are well on your way with the learning.

Congratulations, Rooster.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]