Tents

Kpmiggs

Tents

Post by Kpmiggs »

I am going to be buying a new tent soon and was wondering what your thoughts were on the best tents for the Florida weather are. I have never owned a tent before and want to get a good, dry, breathable, light weight tent. Thoughts?
TEAM PENETRATION - We Like to set our hooks Deep!
JoeS

Re: Tents

Post by JoeS »

I have a Eureka Tetragon 7 I haven't used much lately but when I lived in Tallahassee it saw steady use at Lake Seminole and Cape San Blase in the summer when I would go for scallops........Some Reviews:
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eureka/tetragon-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

You can't go wrong with Eureka Tents....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Evan

Post by Evan »

Everybody has their favorite. I would highly recommend REI tents. I lived in this one for a year down in Patagonia, and it held up great:

http://www.rei.com/product/794294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

Full screen for the tent, full coverage for the fly and a vestibule to leave your shoes and some gear outside of the tent.

The full screen gives lots of air flow. The full coverage fly (goes all the way to the ground) gives protection from wind and rain but can be folded back in good weather. The vestibule (created by the fly being a bit bigger than the tent, offers a place to leave wet/sandy shoes and keep some gear out of the weather without bringing it in the tent with you.

Tent head room is a personal decision but is something you must consider. If you can live with 3-4 foot of headroom, your choices are large. If you have to have standing headroom, you typically end up with a larger tent.

The Coleman Hooligan2 is a nice inexpensive design. Of course, you get what you pay for. A lot depends on how much use and/or how long you want it to last. North Face Road Runner design is also nice but pricey. I had an REI Half Dome and loved it. Now have a North Face and love it also. The Coleman I have has had to have it's poles repaired a couple times and it never really sets up taut.

Don't be fooled by what they claim is the number of people it will fit. What tent companies describe as a 2 person is only a tent for two people that want to cuddle.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rik is right my Eureka Tetragon 7 is considered a 3 person Tent.........Me, Myself, and I fit perfectly.........
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Mountain Hardware. I have had 1 for 12 years and it's still taking a beating. been through some rough weather from blizzard to tropical storms. Never, ever had an issue with a leak.
The major expedition quality tents are all good but not cheap. Spend the money now on a good 3 season tent so you aren't sorry when the inevitable storm comes through.
REI
Eureka
Marmot
Walrus
All good stuff.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Eureka Apex IIxt

It packs small and light. There are also two vestibules to store your gear when it rains. I have camped in the snow and the heat of summer and been comfortable.

The tent is rate as a two man, but you had better be really good friends. It is perfect for one person of my size.
1 3 12 120 3000
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

Pirogue wrote:Eureka Apex IIxt

It packs small and light. There are also two vestibules to store your gear when it rains. I have camped in the snow and the heat of summer and been comfortable.

The tent is rate as a two man, but you had better be really good friends. It is perfect for one person of my size.
I agree 100%. I retired my 20 odd year old Timberline 4 (my two kids and I used it for years) and replaced it with the Apex IIxt. Plenty of room for ONE person. I packs about the same size as my Thermarest air mattress!

I've camped two times with it since purchasing it and it is a great tent.

you can see a pic of this tent in a previous post of mine:
http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... =1&t=32188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a post (from Redfishin'Ale) with another angle of this tent (the yellow one).
http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 39#p299139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado